Air Cooling - Water Cooling

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
renovation

Air Cooling - Water Cooling

Post by renovation »

I'm not even thinking of going Water cooled . just thought I ask others thoughts on the subject . With all the CPU choices todays. anything from dual core to Octa-core or more . then there assorted video card choices with different cpu ranges . IS there really a need to go water cooled . take the chance besides extra cost's of water cooling a desktop .? just asking others thoughts on it one way or the other.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

My old main rig ran an AMD FX-8150 8-core CPU. She ran really hot, even with higher end air coolers. I went ahead and picked up one of the Corsair Hydro H100i coolers for it when I built my new case up, and it worked fantastically, kept the CPU nice and cool. Since then, it's been relegated to server duty, but my new main rig, an Intel Core i5-4670, I'm running the stock cooler on it with no issues. Mini-ITX board with a low-power GeForce GTX 750ti in a full size case with lots of fans, I have no cooling problems whatsoever. If I were to pop it into a Mini-ITX type case, I might consider getting a smaller water cooler, like a Corsair Hydro H80 or something, but for right now, it runs fine, so I'm not gonna mess with it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

IMO nowadays, there's no reason to water cool except lower noise or a small case. There are air coolers that are just as good, and even better, than water coolers, for a lot less money.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I can't say enough good things about the Cooler Master H212. It's the best cooler for the money. I thought about going to a closed loop cooler but just can't justify the cost for me. For my next build I may look at them again.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have a Coolernaster V8 that is on my 6 core AMD that folds and never gets above 110F. And all my fans are low RPM fans so the loudest thing in my case is the video card fans.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Pugsley wrote:I have a Coolernaster V8 that is on my 6 core AMD that folds and never gets above 110F. And all my fans are low RPM fans so the loudest thing in my case is the video card fans.
That think is a beast. I think it could cool a V8.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Pugsley wrote:I have a Coolernaster V8
Holy crap, that's massive.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't care how efficient it is, IF I was building a showpiece case, I'd use that bad boy and back light it in red.

ANYWAY, since I don't over clock I use the factory coolers that come with Intel CPUs. They're more than adequate. Yes you can get cooler temps and less noise with after market coolers, but they do the job for me. The factory coolers are MUCH better than what they used to provide back in the Pentium days.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I bought it because of its surface area. I knew on my rig that I would be able to run the fan on low and not have to hear it. and the only time the video card is loud is when playing games. Otherwise its a tie between the power supply and the HD.

I have been using cooler master ever since I won one at PCA LAN so many years ago. That was a solid copper. The first time they offered something with heatpipes I bought it. They had it like 6 months before everyone else and I was able to OC a 2500 to like 3800 speeds and still had a quiet PC.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I have an SLK-900A in the basement! hahahaha
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

eGoCeNTRoNiX wrote:I have an SLK-900A in the basement! hahahaha
That thing looks familiar. I think I have a heat pipe version of that in one of my servers. yeah I had the SP-97. I remember the SP-94 was for Intel and it took a few months for the SP 97 to come out. At the time it was the only one that fit that had heat pipes.