The Intel Skylake-X Review: Core i9 7900X, i7 7820X and i7 7800X Tested

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
Err
Life Member

The Intel Skylake-X Review: Core i9 7900X, i7 7820X and i7 7800X Tested

Post by Err »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550/the ... 00x-tested

I've read the reviews of the 7900X and Toms and Guru3D. They are seeing major temperature issues when attempting to overclock. All reviewers are seeing motherboard issues in regards to XMP RAM timings. Gaming benchmarks are also not looking great right now at 1080p. This is this same issue AMD was having with the Ryzen line.

I hope they get the bugs worked out because these boards are Intel's integrated line. I believe everything from an I5 though I9 will run on this new socket. I just wish someone would give me a reason to upgrade from my I5 2500K. I'd like to use M.2 and USB-C but these are not really work the bother re-installing my applications and games.
wvjohn

Re: The Intel Skylake-X Review: Core i9 7900X, i7 7820X and i7 7800X Tested

Post by wvjohn »

From what I've read, games are still pretty much limited to using 4 cores. I've got a 4790k @ 4.4 and there is no reason to upgrade.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: The Intel Skylake-X Review: Core i9 7900X, i7 7820X and i7 7800X Tested

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Few games make use of more than 2 cores. A few are specifically coded to use 4. The problem is that multi thread coding is very complicated and doesn't lend itself to realtime applications like games. To keep it simple: In games, generally one thing happens at a time in a sequence, and you can't wait for a second thread to catch up.

In something like Photoshop it's not a big deal if one thread is a few nanoseconds behind another because when the function is done (like maybe applying a filter) you just wait for it to finish and then move on. In a game you can't have the framerate drop because a thread is holding things up.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "