Apparently Scammed By Pr0phetX on Anandtech....

If you're having trading problems please post here
One4yu2c
Goober Member

Apparently Scammed By Pr0phetX on Anandtech....

Post by One4yu2c »

Pr0phetX (Gary Overstreet) opened a FS thread on Anandtech's forums in which he was selling two Evga 7900GTX cards (one new, one used) and some RAM. I ended up purchasing the new/sealed 7900GTX card from him with the intention of reviewing it for HardwareLogic.com (I'm the Hardware Editor over there). He also agreed to include the original invoice so that I may utilize the Step-Up program, as I planned on trading it in towards a 7950GX2 and posting comparative benches, and he provided me with a phone number in case I had any trouble doing so.

Purchase Details
I paid for the Evga 7900GTX card on 6/17/06 via Paypal in the amount of $383. Shipping was to commence "ASAP."

Purchase Result
As of today, nearly two weeks later, the card has not shipped nor has a refund been made.

Attempts at Resolution
On Monday (26th), I called Gary to get an update. He informed me that the card had not shipped and provided an excuse that his internet was down at work. It was difficult to understand him over the phone, as it was early in the morning and I may have woken him up. In any event, he agreed to ship it by today (Thursday the 29th) and provide a tracking number.

The card was not shipped today, nor did Gary initially call me. I called for another update today and left a message on his voicemail. Not long after, Gary returned my phone call, though he asked for the wrong name - he asked for Jeff, which is another member involved in a dispute with Gary and whom I have been exchanging PMs on Anandtech. After speaking with Gary, he let me know that the card still has not shipped and then let me go abruptly, as he needed to speak with Jeff.

Current Status
I have open a claim with Paypal and left negative feedback on Gary's Heatware account. I am also in contact with two other Anandtech members who have apparently been scammed by Gary, one of which has filed a police report. I am in the process of getting more information and including myself on the report as well.

Pertinent Links
For Sale Thread on Anandtech
Thread Capture Before Edit
His Heatware Feedback
His Anandtech Profile
His [H]ardOCP For Sale Thread
Related Thread on MP3Car.com
Big Lar
Goober Member

Post by Big Lar »

I also was scam'd by prOphetX, I bought the ram, but of course did not get the ram I paid for. Lets let this Troll be known ^
Whats with all the Smoke??
One4yu2c
Goober Member

Post by One4yu2c »

To update, I've now been refunded in FULL via Paypal. Here's a cut/paste from my post on Anandtech:
  • On Anandtech, RomanMtz wrote:I recommend those people that are waiting for money from Gary to call him calmly and reason with him in a peaceful, adult manner. I think all will go well if you guys do that.
    Definitely good advice, as I've been talking with Gary off and on in a civil manner basically since the **** hit the fan. Since he was good about keeping up communication (answering the phone), I wanted to give him a chance to rectify the situation on his own and issue a refund before proceeding through the legal system, and I'm pleased to report that I've been refunded in full as of 30 minutes ago. To recap:

- I purchased and paid $383 for a 7900GTX

- Card never shipped, negatives showed up on Heatware, and I filed a Paypal dispute

- Spoke with Gary and we agreed that we'd let Paypal conclude the dispute and take it from there

- Paypal ruled in my favor, was unable to recover funds (as expected)

- Spoke with Gary and he agreed to send me a refund in mail within two weeks

- In that time period, Gary contacted me and informed me that Paypal was reversing some charges so that refunds could be issued

- Skeptical, I was going to have Gary send me a refund via mail and if Paypal also ended up refunding me, I would send the money back to him. However, I got an email from Paypal today saying that I've been refunded in full ($383). Logged in to verify, and there the money sits
Karchiveur
Golden Member

Post by Karchiveur »

He got me too :@:@:@

There should be no bull**** reasoning! **** I'm pissed off.

This dude right?
Gary Overstreet
goverstreet@gmail.com
40800 Sunflower Rd #K110
Murrieta Ca, 92562
951-445-9674
First person ever Banned from 3dmaxx.com