Space-grade CPUs: How do you send more computing power into space? | Ars Technica

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Space-grade CPUs: How do you send more computing power into space? | Ars Technica

Postby FlyingPenguin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Fascinating article on how CPUs and memory designed to be used in space are built around old technology running at slow clock speeds (larger transistors = less likely to be interfered by radiation).

The current state of the art space-hardened hardware (which was also used on the Curiosity rover) is a CPU based on the PowerPC 750 (Pentium II era) that runs at 200MHz with 256MB of RAM and 2GB of SSD. It's pretty much impervious to cosmic rays and any radiation it would encounter in space or on other planets.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11 ... nto-space/
- "When I say 'be kind to one another', I don't mean only the people who think the same way you do. I mean be kind to everyone, it doesn't matter." - Ellen DeGeneres

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Space-grade CPUs: How do you send more computing power into space? | Ars Technica

Postby Losbot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 pm

That's interesting.

normalicy

Re: Space-grade CPUs: How do you send more computing power into space? | Ars Technica

Postby normalicy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:57 am

I had always wondered about this myself. It pretty much followed my supposition, but I liked the detail they went into on this. It is sad that what's really holding space silicone back is just that it's not worth the effort.

Return to “General Hardware”