Hard Drive question

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Hard Drive question

Post by Executioner »

I'm finally building a new desktop rig to replace my 8 year old rig. It's going to have a 420GB boot SSD and a 1TB SSD game drive. I would like to add a spinner drive to store files etc., but I don't want it powered on all the time, and I don't want to reboot to power it up. Is this even possible? If so, what would I need to make this possible for an internal drive?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Hard Drive question

Post by FlyingPenguin »

By default a spinning hard drive will spin down after a certain amount of time. Default is 20 minutes I think. You can change it in the Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Advanced Power Options -> Hard Disk -> Turn off Hard Disk after...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

1TB game drive? You must be playing lots of small games or a couple of big ones. :)
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:1TB game drive? You must be playing lots of small games or a couple of big ones. :)
Mine is also 1TB. Almost all my games are through Steam so I let them store them :) I only keep what I'm actively playing. If I want to play an older game, I just re-install it.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Problem is some of those games save progress locally. You lose that progress. That's happened to me in the past with some of the older Assassin's Creed ones.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah a 1 TB SSD is fine for me. I will usually uninstall a Steam game or several of them if I haven't played them for a while. Not a big deal. I also have on my game drive TONS of music files which I plan to move to the spare drive to make more room. This also includes my boot drive backups which will also get moved.

So can I specify a HD where the OS turns it off or does it apply to all hard drives? I usually have the setting in power for performance and not balanced.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

After some searching, Amazon has this hardware: https://www.amazon.com/Device-Switch-Ch ... B01MAX56SA

This is what I was originally thinking about - a hardware solution. Anyone ever try to use a hardware solution for turning off hard drives?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Why add more complexity to the system. I would just use the power saving features of the HDD. I feel that if you use that method, you'll be seeing a lot of messages regarding a missing drive when it tries to access things on that HDD. You might drive yourself nuts with that. lol

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just install it and forget it. Windows will spin it down after a few minutes when not in use.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

okeedokee. I'll just let windows manage it then.

I'm just curious - do you guys have your power setting as balanced or performance? On my laptop which I have a few games, I have to have it on performance; otherwise, the game plays like crap with the laptop throttling the fans and other hardware.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It has more to do with laptops and battery management. Like how long before the screen sleep, and the PC sleeps. And you can always override these things.

All my PCs are on balanced. It's not like it's going to throttle your CPU down when you're playing a game. I then manually set things like screen sleep time, PC sleep time (I usually disable on towers), hibernation (which I never use on towers), etc.

Balanced is a good default for most people.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

When I play games on my gaming laptop, I switch to Performance, which I edited so the CPU is at a minimum of 100. When I'm done, I switch to balanced. That's just me.