SSDs More Reliable than HDDs: Backblaze Study

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Err
Life Member

SSDs More Reliable than HDDs: Backblaze Study

Post by Err »

[url]https://www.techpowerup.com/281896/ssds-more ... laze-study[/url]
With annualized failure rates studied between April 2013 and April 1, 2021, Backblaze finds that SSDs total 0.65% AFR, while HDDs do 6.04%.
I'm still using 4TB spinners for Picture, Video, and Music storage. A WD Blue SSD is currently $340 but an equivalent WD gold and Black HD is $160 and $150 respectively. All of the drives carry a 5 year warranty I'd gladly jump on board a all SSD system if the initial cost wasn't so much. I think I would start converting if a 4TB SDD was abound $250, preferably less. Since I don't hammer my storage drives with read/write cycles like Blackblaze, it's hard to justify the extra cost for all SSD.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: SSDs More Reliable than HDDs: Backblaze Study

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice to see that SSDs hold up over time. My personal experience has been good. My workstation and gaming PC are all SSDs, except for a spinner for image backups. The gaming PC has three 1 and 2TB SSDs (in addition to the boot drive): a mix of Samsung EVOs and Sandisks. They're all three to five years old now, and still holding up fine.

My four Media Centers all use 6 year old budget Sandisk or Crucial boot SSDs and all running fine with no failures.

I still like spinning rust drives for archiving. I have archive drives in my safe deposit box that are over 10 years old or more. We know those are stable a very long time because major cloud backup companies, TV studios, and others have used them for archiving for a couple of decades or more. I dunno if anyone has done any long term studies on data deterioration on unpowered SSDs.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I read yesterday that a new bitcoin will be using HD's instead of video cards, which means there will be a demand for HD's.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm still a long way from being able to afford SSD for archival storage. I've been pulling 8TB Seagate drives from the external cases and using them with surprising success. All of them are 5 years old now and no failures and showing strong TRIM results.