Bad RAM (Hopefully)

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Err
Life Member

Bad RAM (Hopefully)

Post by Err »

Last week, I started getting BSOD again. The last time I got them, it was related to MSI's Network management software. After uninstalling it, I've been BSOD free for months. The first BSOD I got happened when I restarted after updating my video driver. I didn't think much of it as everything worked sfc and checkdisk didn't find any issues and everything was still running fine. The next BSOD happened when I was viewing Twitch in Chrome and then opened Firefox. The message was Memory management. This time, checkdisk and sfc did find errors and repaired them. I thought maybe a botched update may be causing it and didn't see another BSOD until I woke up Sunday morning to a login screen. I checked the logs and found another Bugcheck related to Memory Management. I ran Microsoft's Memory diagnostic tool and got the screen below.

After the diagnostic completed, I restarted and got on Best Buy's site to see if they had anything. Almost immediate BSOD. Something to do with security. Restarted and was able to find 16Gb x 2 DDR4 3,200 Corsair at the local store. After replacing the GSkill Ripjaws with the Corsair, I haven't had any issues for 24 hours. I haven't ran the memory diagnostic again because I almost don't want to know.

Hopefully, the new RAM fixed it. Otherwise, I'd be looking for another Motherboard. The Z390 chipsets are already hard to find so I'd probably have to buy a new Motherboard and processor. This is something I don't wish to do right now.

According to HWInfo, the Corsair Vengenc RAM is made by Micron. I also used this on my previous build and it was rock solid.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6RCYqMd.jpg[/img]
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Bad RAM (Hopefully)

Post by Executioner »

I did not know that windows 10 probably has a built in mem tester? I've always used memtest86 with good results. When I used to get BSOD, it's almost always bad ram.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

You have to search for it. Click the start button and type memory diagnostic. This should bring up the app. I was just happy it gave me a result.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fixed it. I had a twitch stream going all day while ripping and cataloging cds after I put the new RAM in. I also didn't have any issues after letting the pc idle all night
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I got up the courage and ran Windows Memory Diagnostic again last night. It passed with no issues.