Win2K, some like it but worth $300 retail? Problems?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
LikeLinus

Post by LikeLinus »

Darkheart

How many people network a modem? What i SAID was "Win2k is optimized for high speed internet connections" Read what i wrote before you get pissy. I wasn't talking about you.

Thought so...
pHaestus

Post by pHaestus »

I use a modem in Win2k and I slightly better (though still shitty) pings compared to Win98se. I also am sharing the modem with another PC (I have a LAN and no broadband access is available) with no problems. I suggest you check some sites on tweaking your DUN settings and also go to the modem maker's site and get updated inf files for your modem.
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

Linus your assertion in your post is that Win 2K is best and everyone should use it. This isn't the case if your stuck with low speed connections or if your running on a Novell network or if you use Citrix need I go on?

I've tested Win 2K in a much larger enviroment than just running a few games and it has signinficant shortcomings which still arn't sorted out.

I've also tweaked the f*ck out of my modem until it screamed and returned pings are still very poor. In fact best pings I've had so far have been from running 98SE (patched) were I can pull in pings of 110-125 from a 56k connection running a variety of different games. ME seems more unreliable 130-170, 2K took it up to 200-220+ which was unplayable for for most things. I also tried four different modems (3 external & 1 ISA internal all 56K) with no better results.

Darkheart
LikeLinus

Post by LikeLinus »

Uh i dont really see how i asserted that everyone should use Win2k?. All i really said is it is optimized for High Speed Connections and that it rocks and i love it. Also that it doesnt crash hardly at all (ive actually havent had the whole OS crash before). These are just my feelings of the OS and everyone's uses will differ.

I worked for Microsoft for 1 1/2 years before this past April when i took a position at a partner company. I realize all the shortcomings of the OS. But what you have to remember is that it is a BUSINESS OS. It is optimized for "High Speed Internet Connections", or ethernets. It is also not optimized for gaming pings. There are registery Tweeks you can do to help this performance, but general it is tweeked towards file transfer performance. This OS DEFINATELY isnt for everyone. It is for people whp understand NT with some of the conveniences of Win98.

As far as your pings, it could be machine specific. As pHaestus said, he gets better pings with a modem in Win2k than Win98. Is this a downfall of Win98? Does that make Win2k automatically better? That is how you are approching it. I think your problems come from the way your mobo interprets the functions from Win2k to the PCI/ISA slots and modems. But i've never tested multiple nics with multiple os's to care.

Many of the quarks in Win2k will be fixed by SP1 - SPX. Just keep updating and things will work themselves out.
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

Out of the company test group (10) we ran for look at the viability of rolling out Win2K the service pack crashed 3 of the test machines (more stop errors :( ) 1 unrecoverably. When I tried it at home and in the office I was also running SP1 (Is it true MS said they would not release any SP's for 2K???) same problems.

You say different hardware configurations but apart from the modem what is there to change these days ? Serial ports are pretty much of a muchness and the software remains the same. Makes no sense. Also just too many problems integrating with other apps and O/S's. You say designed for business but whose business ? Certainly not ours...

Darkheart
Solstice
Golden Member

Post by Solstice »

Just FYI, the reason Win2k handles high-speed connections better than Win98 is because Microsoft ditched the old TCP/IP stack and re-built it from the ground up. For some reason MS didn't make many changes to the DUN layer, and it tends to crawl with the new stack.
Twisted Evil

Post by Twisted Evil »

I had no problems with dialup under Win 2000. Contant 94ms pings to my gateway. 110-140 pings in well populated RA3 servers. This was obtained on a Diamond Supra Express INT, with error control off.
Splitfire
Golden Member

Post by Splitfire »

ive actually havent had the whole OS crash before
Tkae your case cover off and run your finger across the RAM a few times with the power on. That should do the trick! :jester
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
LikeLinus

Post by LikeLinus »

hahahah. Yeah i'm sure that'd do the trick.

Darkheart, you just must have pisspoor luck. We've installed SP1 on all our machines at work and never ran into any trouble what so ever? I've installed it on all 4 of them here at home and ran just fine? Are you installing this on really old computers?
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

The group was picked out to represent most of the company machines. The one that crashed unrecoverably was an Athlon 500 with 128Mb running on an MSI 6169 board with an adaptec (2940 I think) card in it. Kept coming up with STOP INVALID BOOT DEVICE DETECETED, immeadiatly after installing SP1. Wouldn't let us into the OS at all. The other 2 that crashed were either Cerleon or P2 400's old but not ancient.

Darkheart
Big O
Goober Member

Post by Big O »

been running Win2k since August and habent rebooted yet :)