Booting Problems with Drivespace 3

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
sheerdark

Post by sheerdark »

I have an older machine on my netowork that I am currently having problems with. It runs Windows 95 on an older drive and it is compressed with Drivespace 3. So, I tried to adjust the compression the other day and it rebooted and now it will not boot. I have tried everything that I can think of to fix it. I do not want to format the drive and start over, because I have several years of files on it that I really do need. When I run a scandisk...it says that this drive can not be mounted b/c I need to re-install Drivespace. My question is...how do I re-install Drivespace without formatting the drive or re-installing Windows? Is there a site online or something that I can get a drivespace installation program? Thanks for any help or input.
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

Sounds like it's not loading drivespace at startup and then not seeing the drive, try this.

Put the drive in one of your other systems, boot up, run drive space set settings to defaults (including automatically mount compressed drives) on that drive return to old machine and run.

If this fails to work, copy the files you need from the old drive to a tempory area on one of your other disks. Format the old drive then copy them back on.

There is a way to forceload drivespace at stratup and force mount compressed drives but I can't remember right now.

Darkheart
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not that this helps you now, but for the benefit of others: I strongly recommend you DON'T use Drivespace.

Drivespace increases the chances you'll eventually corrupt the drive, and it gives you a big performance hit. Back when drives were tiny it was sometimes necessary, but in this day in age there's no good reason.

Even if you have an old system, a second hand 4 Gb drive costs around $30. If the mobo can't recognize that large a drive, get a copy of a Disk Manager utility.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.