Firewire ? about hd's & cdrw's

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Esquire

Post by Esquire »

I love the banging head guy...

Whats the fire wire deal, I was wondering how is performance with external firewire drives? are they just ide drives in firewire boxs? could i make my own, if i scored the enclosers, i saw them for 140 ish. Are they less resoerse consuming thanm plain ide?
http://www.electricdogs.com
has a few...

thanks
me
Ladies Man

Post by Ladies Man »

good question

i'd like to know too
damien6
Genuine Member

Post by damien6 »

They're just IDE drives in those external firewire cases and usually 5400rpm at that, unless you want to pay outrageous sum of $$ for 7200rpm drives. Someone I know picked up one of those and I nearly slap him silly just for being that dumb while being considered my friend as well. Come to think of it, even if I didn't know him I would slap him silly for being so stubid. He return it for a Sony firewire external cd-rw that cost little over $400. (He's a lost cost)
It would be cheaper to get one of those box and installing your own 7200rpm drives but their actual use is still questionable.

For that kind of $$ it might be cheaper to go w/scsi and get to enjoy better performance.
Esquire

Post by Esquire »

okay so... you can slap a ide 7200 into a firewire case & your set to jet?

is firewire cpu intensive?
damien6
Genuine Member

Post by damien6 »

Yes, "you can slap a ide 7200 into a firewire case" or any other working IDE drive and it should work. Don't know about "your set to jet" comment because we are talking about IDE drive. Even under different controller, IDEs are still IDEs and I wouldn't expect them to perform any faster than what we're used to under more mature technology we're used to.

I don't think they're CPU intensive but on this I'm not too sure yet.