Need info fast.. How can I find NIC speed?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Phjorg
Golden Member

Post by Phjorg »

There are computers here at work and I want to know if there is any way to tell the speed of the NIC. The descriptions don't tell me anything in network neibourhood... Is there a program or an option I can set that detects the speed of my card?
<FONT COLOR="#888888">I AM</FONT> Canadian!!
bitSLAP
Golden Member

Post by bitSLAP »

All combo cards (ones with a BNC connector aka thinwire) are all 10s.

For twisted pair only: Look at the lights on the NIC card. There should be one for 10/100. If there isn't, then most likely it's only a 10.
bitSLAP
Golden Member

Post by bitSLAP »

Oh and another way is to check the hub or switch they're plugged into. If it's only a 10Base-T hub/switch, then you know it's only connecting at 10. This won't help to much if you want know what the actual card will support.

If it's a 10/100 hub/switch then it should have a 10/100 light for each connection as well. 10 = NIC only supports 10, 100 = well you get the idea.
Frost
Golden Member

Post by Frost »

lol bitslap.

Frost.
<a href=mailto:Frost@pcabusers.com>E-mail</a> / <a href=http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=frost>Heatware</a> / <a href=http://frostyspc.homestead.com>My computer</a>
Phjorg
Golden Member

Post by Phjorg »

I must be missing something here?? what did he say that was funny?

Anyway, thanks for the help! Your tips were right on! I didn't even think of just checking for the light... :)
<FONT COLOR="#888888">I AM</FONT> Canadian!!