Hard Drive Throughput

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
40wnks
Genuine Member

Hard Drive Throughput

Post by 40wnks »

I am looking at the Pinnacle Systems Studio Software because, as a parent, I have quite a bit of analog tape (Hi8 and VCR) of family movies. I would like to edit this and eventually burn this to DVDs. Pinnacle requires a hard drive that "...must be capable of sustained throughput of at least 4 MB/sec. All SCSI and most UDMA drives are fast enough (dedicated hard drive recommended)." The Software comes with a PCI card that has a firewire input, in/out composite, and in/out SVHS.
I just bought a 120Gb Western Digital 7200RPM drive, ATA 100 I believe, with a 2MB buffer, will this do the job or do I need to take it back and get a different one? They make a Caviar version with an 8MB buffer. Thanks.
Bill
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

that drive will do the trick. Even the old EIDE HDD's would transfer fast enough.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just do yourself a favor and make a seperate partition JUST for editing videos. When you're done with a project and burn it, wipe the drive for the next project.

They normally recommend you defrag before loading a new project but if the drive is wiped there's no need to.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

40wnks
Genuine Member

Post by 40wnks »

Thanks guys, much appreciation!
Bill