Few newbish questions.

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
James
Goober Member

Few newbish questions.

Post by James »

What do fan ducts do? And while looking around in my comp i noticed one of my fans was not running, and i couldn't get it to work. Is it broken or not supposed to run, or am i doing something wrong or what? Im new to this sort of thing so bear with my random newbish questions.

Thanks.
FMZ

Post by FMZ »

I know that the fan duct is supposed to run...if you can only find me a picture of it, I should be able answer your question more in depth

Thanks,
FMZ
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

By duct, do you mean your system has a duct over the CPU heatsink? Some computers like Dells don't have a fan attached to the heatsink - instead there's a duct over it and an exhaust fan on the back.

Yes the fans should all be spinning - if it's not the fan is bad or it's become unplugged. You'll overheat your system if you don't fix it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

fan ducts help to move air
there is usually a fan on the end of it. So it would draw air through the duct to circulate in a desired location

As for the fan not running......its either not running cause it isnt plugged in, or it is broken.
fans arent put into a system for no reason, i would say replace it as soon as possible
Gone for good. But never say never
FMZ

Post by FMZ »

Ok, I see what you're saying. Check if the fan is connected either to motherboard or to the molex connector (those big white connector) If it's connected, your fan is busted. If it's not connected, go ahead and connect it, and do update me
James
Goober Member

Post by James »

Ive tried it every which way, and still nothing, so i guess it's broken. I was going to order some stuff, so if you can tell me which fan is best ill go ahead and get some. So what's the best fan on the market? Ill probably be adding a fan controller so noise level isnt a big problem.

Thanks.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Check Out This Thread..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey James, First off, welcome to PCA. :B Next, check out this thread .. Sean has some pretty good fans here that have great prices. Would be hard to find some of these fans at these prices anywhere else. So if they work for what you're looking for, let him know.. eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Case fans are pretty standard and are measured in millimeters. If it's an exhaust fan it's probably 80 x 80mm.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Sean

Post by Sean »

thank eGo.

Yeah, my prices rock! :)
- Sean