USB Key Board problem

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
NascarFool

USB Key Board problem

Post by NascarFool »

I recently got an HP USB Keyboard. When I connect it to my comp, it loads drivers and then says there is an "Unknown Device". The keyboard shows in the Device Manager but it don't work. I have installed the HP Mutimedia Keyboard program and it still won't work. My PS/2 key board is the same as the USB keyboard. (uses the same software too) I tried the USB Keyboard on my laptop and it loads right up and works fine. The extra USB devices on the lappy are: Generic USB Hub and USB Composite Device. Any suggestions ?

Main Comp:
Latest Bios from Epox installed.
WinXP Pro (Installed fresh 05/17/03)
8RDA+ with five other USB devices attached, USB Support in the bios is enabled, Enhanced USB Support was tried enabled and disabled. The board has 6 USB ports.
USB Devices installed:
Optical mouse, HP Scanner, USB Drive enclosure w/ Plextor CDRW, Sidewinder FF Wheel and ATI Remote Wonder.

*EDIT* The USB ports on the 8RDA+ are 2.1 and are backwards compatible.

Lappy:
Compaq 715US
WinXP Home
Two usb ports: Optical mouse on one, USB keyboard on the other.
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

there are 6 usb ports total on the 8rda boards... 2 port are the old usb i think u need the cable and the pci slot cover to get those though . not to certain though...
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You don't need any special driver for a USB keyboard. WinXP/2K has it's own drivers. The software that came with it is only for the special buttons.

You should be able to plug it in and it should just work.

You will need to enable Legacy USB support in BIOS if you want the keyboard to work in BIOS and in DOS.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

The only thing I see in the bios is : "USB Keyboard Support" and "Enhanced USB Compatibility". First one is enabled and the second was tried both ways.

Hey Pred, open your eyes and shake off the sinus problems. Hint hint, I have 5 USB devices currently connected to the 8RDA+. There fore, do da math. :D The Keyboard just don't like me. It works fine on the laptop.
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

WTF u have hooked up to that thing :D
sethpa
Golden Member

Post by sethpa »

NascarFool, which bios you running on that mobo? Seems that was a problem with those mobos and was fixed in a recent bios change.
"my overclocked brain runs much faster with the thought processor disabled"
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

I/m running the most recent official release from Epox.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Should work.

The "Advanced" support is usually for DOS/BIOS support of USB mice.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.