Comp locking up

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

Yeah I meant 5.6, doh! Anyway, I went about 5 days straight, then bam it happened again last night! GRRR, so frustrating! For those 5 days I believe I was torrenting, but last night I wasn't. I dunno what that has to do with anything, except maybe the HD going to sleep, but my torrent drive and my Windows drive are separate physical drives... and I believe it has locked up while torrenting once before. I'll have to look into my PM settings when I get home from work, it's about the only thing I haven't looked into yet...
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

UPDATE: OK, after trying everything I could possibly think of, I finally narrowed it down to drivers for the onboard network card. I was reading on other boards that people were getting the lockups with certain drivers, so they had to roll them back. I checked and there was recently an update, so I installed the new ones and haven't had a lock up in about 2 weeks. PHEW!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Was that a Windows update that updated the driver? I NEVER allow those Windows drivers to install just for that reason.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

Yes it was, it was also a Windows update that seems to have fixed it...
Bigal

Post by Bigal »

Glad you figured it out. I've had Windows mess me up with a RAID driver update on my Abit A7N motherboard. I had to decline that "update" during subsequent Windows updates for a month, until another one was released that worked properly. Now Windows lets you officially decline an update so you don't have to keep going through the routine.
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've had a lot of issues with Windows Driver updates so I tell clients never to install them. MS's drivers tend to be generic and not necessarily a good match for your hardware. It's always best to download the driver from the manufacturer.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
I've had a lot of issues with Windows Driver updates so I tell clients never to install them. MS's drivers tend to be generic and not necessarily a good match for your hardware. It's always best to download the driver from the manufacturer.

Ditto, especially sound and graphics drivers.