Can Ram effect temp?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

I can't see how it could but the other day I added another stick of 128 meg PC100 to my system and the CPU temp has gone up by about 8 degrees C and it seems to jump all over the place one second it is 41 the next it is 33 but generally it is running about 8 degrees higher than it was before the extra stick of ram. These temps are with SETI running Nothing else in system has changed and case temps are the same 26-29c any clues or thoughts would be appreciated
sbp

Post by sbp »

Maybe the ram is affecting how air is being circulated.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ram gets hot too, but not very hot and it should affect the case temp not the CPU temp.

It's more likely that when you installed the ram, you nudged the CPU which possibly moved the CPU temp sensor. More than likely the sensor wasn't making good contact with the heatsink before, and now it is.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.