eSATA

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
RubberDuckie

eSATA

Post by RubberDuckie »

eSATA should be hot swapable correct?

I have one of these external SATA hard drive bays... you know the kind where the bare drive just drops in. I should be able to plug in and pull out the cable while the computer is on and it will auto detect just like a USB HDD. ??? Cause I can not. It will only see the drive if it is pluged in at boot up.
JSTMF
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you have an eSATA enclosure (enclosure connects to the PC via eSATA cable) AND your mobo's controller supports hot swapping (not all do) then yes, you can hot swap.

I'm guessing your mobo doesn't support it or (more likely) your SATA controller is configured to emulate IDE (which is fairly common by default today to avoid having to use SATA drivers). If the SATA controller is emulating IDE it won't be hot swappable for sure.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

RubberDuckie

Post by RubberDuckie »

It is a SATA HDD in this dock:
I am connecting vis eSATA Cable (not USB) ... But I guess I might connect via USB cable if it allows me to hot swap. My computer is Shuttle SN27P2. Looking up specs now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817709017
JSTMF
Badmojo

Post by Badmojo »

I've been using a via 1964a to hot swap DVD drives and I have to run the device manager "scan for hardware changes" to get them to show up. I believe I've seen eSATA cases that come with software for hotswapping.
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas ]Sealab2021[

Do you have any proof that you saved the universe?... Were all still here arent we!

Random Fact:
Mac's were made by pirates they only needed one button on the mouse to use with thier hooks.
ImageImageImage
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Hot swap isn't manditory for ESATA, it's just optional if the manufacturer wants to implement it. Like Badmojo said though, many times if it doesn't pop up, scanning for changes will work.