Western Digital Advanced Format Drive WD10EARS

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Schwartz

Western Digital Advanced Format Drive WD10EARS

Post by Schwartz »

Here is my experience with installing one. Anybody else have experience with these? I'm interested in hearing what you think of it.

I purchased this drive to replace the drive in my Wife's computer that was running out of space. The PC was running Windows 7 and the drive being replaced was a WD3200KS 7200RPM drive.

PC the drive went into: Stock Intel Q6600, Gigabyte GA-EP45-D3SL, 8GB DDR2, and a ATI HD4870.

The Windows install wasn't that old and I didn't really want to mess with getting her all her stuff back so I used a Clonezilla Live CD to clone the old drive to the new one. I then booted straight into Windows 7 off the new drive. Windows asked me to restart so I did and the system was up and running without incident. I then went into the Windows 7 disk manager and extended the partition to fill the whole drive.

Knowing this was an Advanced Format drive but unsure if the alignment would be correct due to the cloning, I downloaded the bootable image of the align utility from the Western Digital site and burned it to a CD. I ran the utility and it indicated that the partition was aligned correctly and there was nothing that needed to be done.

The old drive showed as a 5.4 and the new one as a 5.9 on the Windows Experience Index. I didn't think that was too bad coming from an older 7200 RPM drive to this. I was a little worried it would be slower but that isn't the case. I haven't personally used the PC enough myself to know but my wife says she notices it is a bit faster and things are quicker to load.

This drive for me was a worthwhile upgrade and money well spent to this point. Only time will tell about the reliability as with any drive.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Haven't messed with them yet, but it's good to know that they're not too much of a hassle.