Browser question, guru required

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

Ok, here is the situation and yes, this is work related. I have two browsers, IE and Netscape. Right now Netscape is the default browser and IE is a secondary application used for Netmeeting and other crap. I have an application that requires the use of IE. How can I make a bookmark use IE as the web-browser when Netscape is the default?
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing
Busby
Golden Member

Post by Busby »

You should be able to bookmark the site in IE and then open IE and click the bookmark whenever you want to go to that site.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm guessing you want to make a shortcut on the desktop that runs the page with a specific browser?

Just make a copy of the Netscape shortcut icon and edit it to add the address of the page to the end of the command line.

For instance, the command line in the Netscape shortcut might look like this:

C:\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe

So just tack on the address to the end like this:

C:\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe http://yahoo.com
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

pHaestus

Post by pHaestus »

I believe that if you leave Netscape as the default and then open IE then it will give you the "Do you want to make IE your default browser?" dialog box. If you just close that box without choosing yes or no, then IE will work as if it is the default, but only as long as that session is open. After that then it will prompt you again next time you open IE. Not sure if that helps.
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

FP you are close. But that will only launch a web page with the application. I need the other way around. I need the web page to say what application to launch. I'll try some more detail. I have a Document Managenet application through the intranet web that needs to use IE. This is fine and dandy because of what you suggested (and we have that setup already), a shortcut that launches a specific web page. A user will then see a documnet they need to mail to someone, so they email them a document link. That link is basically a bookmark that opens the default web browser to look at the document. The problem is, it opens Netscape (default) and not IE. The company is not ready to transition to IE yet so Netscape has to remain the default. Now I know, if and when this gets figured out the ability to do this needs to be put on the IIS server so all references (bookmarks) will open IE, but I need to figure out how to do this in the first place. Some of you might say, aw hell, just make IE the default but the problem is I am effecting 14,000 users in 12 countries and that is a drop in the bucket. Easier said than done. ARGH!!!!!
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Can't be done unless the pages you want to open with IE have a unique extension (for instance you could associate .shtml files with IE and .htm and .html with Netscape).

If there's no way for the OS to distinguish between the two types of documents you're trying to load, there's no way to automate the process, and as far as I know no way to have the system prompt you for the type of browser to use.

A bookmark is nothing but a URL path and there's no way to designate a specific browser to run it in unless the page has a unique extension.

Now there's nothing that says you have to use standard extensions like htm, html and shtml (or anything else for that matter) when you create a page. You could invent a unique extension for pages that must run on IE (designate them with the .iehtml extension for instance). You then have to associate that extension with the IE browser on all workstations on the network (or else, inform everyone to select IE as the app to open the page with when prompted and to make sure to checkmark the "Always use this app to open this type of file" option.

Hope this helps...

[Edited by FlyingPenguin on 11-29-2000 at 12:04 PM]
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

pHaestus

Post by pHaestus »

Maybe you could figure out a way to use the .HTA (html application) extension? That should allow IE to load the file assuming you are using IE 4 or 5, as Netscape doesn't support that. Here is some more info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/auth ... erview.asp

(maybe I can make up for misinterpreting the problem before)
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

You guys are great and I really appreciate the effort! I'm gonna try both ideas and see what one will get "approved" if it works. I think the unique extension might be the easiest to work with first. Wish me luck..........
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing