Hard Drive Help

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
jealous57
Genuine Member

Hard Drive Help

Post by jealous57 »

hello all!
I have looked every where and cannot find satisfying answers for what I am looking for! So here goes!

I am currently running (2) 150gb raptors (one is a windowed "X" model, for age refference) in raid 0 for my games drive. I am looking to replace them. I am considering either (2) 640gb WD Caviar Blacks (64mb cache) in raid 0, or a single Caviar Black (dual processor dual head).

My questions are. I think that the single drive may perform near what I currently have... right or wrong given the age of the raptors?

I know the raid 0 set up with the 640s will be faster than the single drive but how much faster real world?

As this is strictly a games drive, I am really not super concerned with the "instability" of raid 0, but is not having TLER a huge deal in raid 0?

Any input greatly appreciated!
Thanks for the help!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Very likely a single Caviar black would be at least as fast.

I would look at the benchmarks in reviews of the single Caviar Black and run the same benchmark on your own array.

You might also look at the price of a single Velociraptor. That's what I'm using for my games drive.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, IMO, the black series isn't worth the money. Grab a velociraptor if you need some speed. The 300gb ones are going pretty cheap now a days.
jealous57
Genuine Member

Post by jealous57 »

I was initially looking at the velociraptors.. However the main reason I want to swap out the drives is more capacity. I have ~300gb with the current array. I am really looking to up it and still maintain comparable or better speed. 2 vraptors in raid 0 is tempting but more than I really wanna spend. Which is why I mentioned the 640s raid 0 or 2 tb.

The only real reason I even settled on a black series is I currently have a 1tb black... and have had horrible luck with seagate drives. Hitachi burned me on a 15K scsi drive back when they bought out IBM so... I swore them off! lol

Keep it coming!!! Thanks again!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You may consider my current favorite HERE. The speed may only be 5400rpm, but since it has such massive density & 32mb cache, it actually beats many 7200rpm drives.
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

One of these...
http://www.excaliberpc.com/592588/vante ... i-300.html

Two of these.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148701

in RAID 0. Or just get an SSD and call it a day.
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Many of the 1Tb drives - even if they're 5400 RPM - are much faster than older drives because of the density and modern buffers.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.