Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
MAC
Golden Member

Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Post by MAC »

Does anyone have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9"? Do you have the Wi-Fi only model or the Wi-Fi and 4G LTE model?

What do you think of it?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

A friend of mine just got the 7" Kindle Fire HD for Xmas. I wasn't impressed.

It has a stunning screen, but it feels underpowered and - most importantly - it's ridiculously locked down. You can only install apps from the Amazon App store, not Google play. The selection is very limited, and sometimes makes absolutely no sense.

For instance, I tried to install the Fox35 weather app (excellent app) on it but although the Fox35 News app was available, the weather app was not.

You can't install any browsers except the browser that comes with it, and that browser doesn't feel snappy.

I'll take my Nexus 7 any day of the week.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

RubberDuckie

Post by RubberDuckie »

amen to the Nexus 7... I love mine.

It also comes in a 10 version.
JSTMF
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

I have an old Acer Iconia A500 10" that's 100 times more functional than a Kindle... probably about the same price on a refurb right about now. But for modern stuff, you can't beat the Nexus series.