Swapping out an SSD boot drive. Copying recommendation

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Losbot
Almighty Member

Swapping out an SSD boot drive. Copying recommendation

Post by Losbot »

I've currently got a 100GB SSD as my boot drive for my gaming rig. I purchased a new 500GB Samsung SSD that I want to put in place of that 100GB.

What are you guys using these days that you'd recommend I use to image that over to the 500GB? I want to boot off of the newer drive so I'll have a little more breathing room.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

most of the drive manufacturers have a utility that allows you to clone - all you need is one drive of their brand installed. I did an upgrade to an SSD and I used the WD utility - worked fine since I had a WD drive as my E: drive.

I had a 64 as my boot drive originally and filed that up way too fast, use a 256 now but when the prices come down further going to get at least a 512. I try and remember to install big stuff like games to E: but even the little stuff piles up after a while.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Hadn't thought of that. Found a data migration tool from Samsung.
Gracias!

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Acronis is what I use.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Acronis here.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Acronis x3
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I used the free utility with the Sandisk drive. Hooked up the new Sandisk SSD via USB-2. Took about 30 minutes from my 128GB SSD. Swapped it and it booted right up with no issues with win 8.1.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I just used reflect to do the same thing...then uninstalled it and ran CCleaner.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

OK. I killed off all apps & all the background crap as recommended. Updated the firmware and did the performance utility that was discussed here previously. 5 minutes for all of that.

Ran the Samsung Data Migration util. Took maybe like 10 minutes to copy from C: to H:. I shutdown, swapped the trays that the drives were in and surprisingly the damn thing booted up just fine. It saw the hardware change, asked for a reboot and came right back up again.

Had absolutely NO ISSUES. Smooth as freakin' butter!