DJI Phantom 3 - my new toy

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: DJI Phantom 3 - my new toy

Post by Losbot »

Damn! 3 miles! Nice!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, getting up the nerve to try some of the advanced flight modes. Up until now I've had no desire to turn control over to the drone except for a test of the Return to Home function.

Going to try using Point of Interest tomorrow. That makes the drone fly in a circle around a designated point at a designated altitude and a designated radius and speed, keeping the camera on the point of interest while circling it.

There's also a Waypoint and Follow Me mode I'm working up the nerve to try.

Will also try flying to max altitude (I'm restricted to 400 feet here because I am in the airplane corridor).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Cool. Let us know. BTW, if you decide to upgrade, let me know. Maybe I'll take that one off your hands.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You might want to click on the gear icon and change the speed to 2x. I didn't edit these:

They put the stucco on the exterior this week, and also did some grading, so I did a fly around:

While I was at it I did a little tour of the property:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I don't think the new place has enough garage space. Just sayin'
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

He's got a Jay Leno garage around the corner for his good stuff...
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hehe, when I get a chance I'll post a pic of the inside of my current garage. It's full with two commercial mowers and the 6 wheel gator, and my model plane workshop. Not even any cars in there.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Are you still flying that LOS or have you tried POV yet?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I haven't had the guts to try any of the autonomous modes yet, so I'm just free flying and also I don't like flying it out of site - I don't rely on the camera view. Old habits from R/C planes.

I am dying to try POV mode but I think I'll try it first in the empty field across the streets. I have a lot of trees on the property.

I also need to make sure I know the procedures. It's complicated by the fact that if you Google video tutorials for some of these autonomous modes, they are all different because DJI keeps changing the GUI when they update the tablet app. I probably have to update my app because my tablet is never online.

Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

When is the next flight of the Phantom 3?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've been meaning to do a fly over. Would have been cool while the bulldozers were here clearing the back yard.

I need to get up the nerve to put it into an autopilot orbit around the house while taking video. Never tried any of the auto flight modes yet.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

You need to start doing vids on houses for sale - I hear they are good money.!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, it's been a LONG time since I flew the drone. Google doesn't yet have an up to date aerial of the new house so I decided to take my own. This was shot from 500 feet which is the max recommended altitude for this drone. Our old house is just visible in the upper right corner.

Backyard view - the never ending pool project still in progress.

We'll be starting soon on the retaining wall to keep the hill behind the house from eroding. Architect is finalizing the drawings for it. It will be a two tier retaining wall. Total height of the hill is 18 feet so two 9 foot walls.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Video from that last drone flight...

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

You should try filming some fireworks from above or at the same rough altitude they are exploding at.