Disc Rot: What Happens When Discs Die

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Disc Rot: What Happens When Discs Die

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Re: Disc Rot: What Happens When Discs Die

Post by normalicy »

I'm all to familiar with this. Especially with recordables, but I've got a few CDs that have experienced it. Thus why my entire collection is now on hard drive as well.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've experienced this also. I don't understand why stamped CDs can't be revitalized. Since the data is stamped into the polycarbonate itself, there ought to be a way to restore the reflective layer.

Recordable digital media is toast because the data in in the Dye layer. It's funny to think that most analogue formats will outlast many of the digital ones. I wonder how digital tape will hold up?
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have some 50-60 year old Reel to Reel tapes my grandfather made and they still sound good.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I haven't seen this yet on any of my old LaserDiscs. I need to start selling them to collectors, as I no longer have a use for them.