new gaming laptop - some questions

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
KiLLerCloWn

new gaming laptop - some questions

Post by KiLLerCloWn »

Hi all,

It's that time again - gaming rig upgrade time :)

I spent a good bit of time comparing and it seems to me like Alienware high-end gaming PCs give you the best bang for the buck this time round. I want to go high-end, but I don't want to go insane! :)

Meaning:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ
GTX 1070 ( the 1080 increases price by a cool $1000!!)
Ultra HD screen ( not so sure it is a necessity )
512 / 1TB SSD
32GB RAM ( I need all the RAM I can get for work )
overclocking ( not really so important to me )
good cooling ( very important to me, it's hot here! )
Tobii technology
mini display port, HDMI out, thunderbolt ( I want to connect a minimum of two external monitors )

With all of this I can stay just under $3000 ( I'm in Europe, I just swap dollars for euros, that usually comes out about right ) .

MSI for this sort of rig would be 3500 and upwards.
The high-end ASUS ROG are even more expensive.

Others like Acer Predator, Razer Blade all seem to have either lower end graphic cards, no mini display port, or lesser processors and these are all important to me.

My main questions are:

1) are there other brands/models I should consider which I may not have looked at?

2) is this a bad moment to buy because the 7th generation i7 are just about to be released?

3) I have read that 7th generation i7 does not play well with GTX 10xx in a laptop because both the GTXs and the processor consume so much power and that it's actually better to stay with a 6th generation - can anyone confirm this?

At the moment I have an ASUS G75V which I bought 4 years ago! At the time it was around $2000 and it's still pushing pixels at quite a considerable rate on today's games! I'd be happy if I could make another great buy like this!

Thanks for any feedback :)
Err
Life Member

Re: new gaming laptop - some questions

Post by Err »

1) The only other Laptop I can think of are Origin PC https://www.originpc.com/

2) There is negligible performance differences between the I7 7xxx series and I7 6xxx series. The advantages of the 7xxx series is on 4K decoding support and 4 more PCI lanes. I think it also supports native 2400 DDR4 as opposed to the previous generations 2133 DDR4 but you won't notice a difference. If the prices between the two laptops are very close, I'd go with the newer iteration. However, you may be able to save a bit going last generation.

3) According to the internet, both generations have the same TDP of 45W so one shouldn't pull more power than the other. http://www.ultrabookreview.com/14101-in ... enchmarks/
I haven't heard of the 10xx series not playing nice but make sure you look up a review of the laptop you're planning to buy just in case.

Post pics of the new laptop one you get it.

EDIT:
By the way, Origin PC offers an M.2 SSD in their laptops. These are wicked fast drives are well worth the upgrade.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

While I haven't heard anything specific about issues with the 7th gen i7's and GTX10's, there's always teething problems with new generations and their chipsets. If it was me I'd either wait until solid reviews come out for the 7th gen laptops, or buy a well reviewed 6th gen that's been around a while and all the bugs have been worked out.

Not really up on gaming laptops so not sure what other brands to recommend.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

KiLLerCloWn

Post by KiLLerCloWn »

Thanks Err and Penguin!

Those OriginPC laptops are insane! There is no limitation on the config ... I got up to $10,700 ... lol :)

Good to know on the 6th gen i7 not being such a slouch compared to the 7th gen ones. I may indeed settle for 6th gen, Alienware are doing a promo on an i6 with GTX1070 where I save $200 ... or rather spend those on estra SSD space :)

I'll start reading reviews!

Thanks again.

KC
Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

The nice thing about the new Nvidia mobile GPUs, is they aren't watered down desktop processors like the previous generations. They're basically full desktop GPUs with slightly lower clock speeds.
The 1070M blows the doors off the 980M and GTX 980 GPUs.

GTX 970 - 1664 cores - 1250 boost speed
970M - 1280 cores - 993 boost speed
GTX 1070 - 1920 cores - 1683 boost speed
1070M - 2048 cores - 1645 boost speed