Moving Steam Folder Q

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
wvjohn

Moving Steam Folder Q

Post by wvjohn »

I filled up my C drive and have another 500 GB SSd I'm going to install. I have about `250 gigs in my steam folder (VR stuff takes a lot of space ).

Can I just copy and paste to new folder and redo shortcut to steam to point to new location? I know that a lot of the profiles are stored in one of those windows system folders.
Err
Life Member

Re: Moving Steam Folder Q

Post by Err »

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -YUBN-8129

The link above explains how to create multiple Steam installation folders and how to move games. It's pretty much cut and paste after to tell steam where the installation folder is going to be located. Then you need to verify each installation.

The only games you'll have problems with are those with mods. After you verify, it's very likely that Steam will overwrite them. In those cases, it's probably best to uninstall the mods, move the files, verify, and then reinstall the mods.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Alternatively, steam now natively supports moving game folders which is less likely to break mods. You can leave steam on the c drive and define a second steam folder on the new drive and then move each game one by one. Right click the game in steam library, local files tab, move game files. Something like that. Not at home right now.

You can also install any future games to the 2nd drive.

They added that ability a few months ago. No need to do it the hard way anymore. I have steam games on two 1Tb SSDs.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

thanks!