Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse Mini-Review

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse Mini-Review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The G502 is a wired mouse (sorry, I won't use wireless mice for gaming or serious work). It's very stylish, with a back-lit "G" logo that you can control from the Logitech Gaming Software. You can make it pulse, change colors, etc. Not something I really care about, but I went ahead and set it to pulse in the same red color as the red back light on my keyboard.

It's about the same size as my venerable old G400 (I have big hands) it has a RIDICULOUSLY high DPI of 12,000 which is more for bragging rights than anything else. I have never used a DPI setting of over 600. Like the G400 you can have several DPI presets that you can switch between on the fly (I have never had a need for this).

It can be weighted: it comes with a bunch of lead weights you can put inside a compartment to give the mouse more mass. I didn't use any of the weights as the mouse is already a bit heavier than my old G400, and I don't like a heavy mouse. The default weight is fine.

The wheel can be used in the normal friction mode, and there is also a button that unlocks the wheel for crazy fast wheel spinning. The wheel also can be moved left and right (defaults to scroll left & right). The wheel feels fantastic. I even though it looks like it's covered in plastic, It's heavy and I suspect it's metal inside or has some weights in it. It just feels real nice under your fingertip.

The mouse comes with a nice heavy duty braided cable (like the cables on high-end PSUs), which looks like it will hold up to about a lot better over time, and a strain relief where it exits the mouse case.

I tried to use the new G502 on my gaming rig in place of my venerable G400. I tried, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it for gaming. It IS a great mouse, but I REALLY like having the three programmable buttons by the wheel like the G400 (and the older MX518). That's the way I game, and I love it. The G502 has, instead, 2 programmable buttons to the left of the left mouse button, and a third at the thumb position on the side (in addition the two normal side buttons).

I probably could eventually get used to that configuration if I had to, but it sure didn't feel comfortable. So after a few days I went back to my G400 (and I still have a spare G400 on the shelf if that one fails).

Instead I started using the G502 on my main workstation in place of the aging MX512, and I have really been enjoying it there. With the DPI cranked up to 600 it feels very smooth and precise.

Only minor complaint is that Logitech chose, for some stupid reason, to make some of the slider pads on the bottom of the mouse have sharp corners (sliders should ALWAYS have round corners!). One corner tends to snag my mouse pad a bit. I've rubbed it with a heavy steel pen to smooth it down, but I suspect I may have to pry it loose and cut the corner into a rounder shape.

Other than that, nice high-quality mouse for the price. It's $56 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Proteus ... B019OB663A

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Logitech G502 Proteus RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse Mini-Review

Post by Losbot »

I'm happy with my Logitech G500s right now but this looks different for sure.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My biggest problem is with them re-locating the two top buttons to the left of the left mouse button (the buttons labelled G7 & G8 in the photo above). On the MX518 and the G400 they were above and below the wheel. I tend to use the top one in games as my "use" key.

It's compounded by the fact that they chose not to give those buttons a different texture so your finger can't easily tell where they are by feel.

The longer I use the mouse on my workstation, the more convinced I am that I could get used to it for gaming because, otherwise, it's a great mouse. Just would need to program muscle memory. If I decided to try it again for gaming I would also either rough up the buttons with some sand paper or else stick some textured labels on them to make them stand out when touched.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I have the non-RGB version of this mouse and really like it. The only complaint is the same as yours FP. I with the sensitivity buttons were in the same location as the 518. I've accidentally hit them a couple of times. I rarely touch the sensitivity except on the occasion I play a Unity-engine game. I don't know what it is about that engine but the sensitivity is through the ceiling.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I've been using the proteus for a while now and love it. But I dont use every button. Since the carpal surgery I use a G13 gaming pad for me left hand instead of the keyboard, and it works fantastically for me. Got a spare one in the closet in case they stop selling them by the time my first one fies I like it so much.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Hmmm, I've been looking for a replacement for my G9. I am a bit worried about the button placement but I have another mouse that I use at work regularly with buttons in that location and they haven't given me issue. I might give this one a go to see how I like it.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I needed a new mouse and got one of these. So far I am liking it - very light touch and a comfortable fit for my hand.