2017 Hard Drive Reliability

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

2017 Hard Drive Reliability

Post by Executioner »

normalicy

Re: 2017 Hard Drive Reliability

Post by normalicy »

Interesting, especially that the enterprise drives were failing quicker than the consumer ones. Makes me feel better about not spending 4x the money.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm going to buy a 4 drive bay Drobo when I move into the new house, and that report is convincing me to use Seagate 8TB drives (assuming it takes them). They're getting an impressive failure rate of just under 1% on 9,800 drives running nearly 900,000 hours.

Right now all of my media files (except ripped DVDs) are on my file server on two mirrored 2TB drives. The DVDs are all on a 6TB (4 - 2TB drives, 1 for parity) UnRaid array box which has served me well for years but is getting a bit long in the tooth.

New house is all CAT6 for future proofing (10Gb/sec IN THEORY with the right switch). I'll be running 1Gbit to start with. 10Gbit switches are way too pricey right now, but down the road that will change.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have a Thecus N5550 that I replaced a whole computer with as my file server. I still use the old file server to mirror the Thecus every 6 months or so but I dont have to keep a whole computer running any more. And I was able to shut down my BitTorrent server too and move that work to the Thecus.

Edit: I have been running this thing 24/7 for about 2+ years now with out any issues.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm currently running 4 8TB Seagates (2 mirrored in my main PC & 2 mirrored in my server). So far (knock on wood) they've been good to me for a year. I pulled them out of external drives, but it was worth it to get them for $199. I also have 5 2TB (RAID5) drives on my old server that's there for incremental back-ups and only one drive failed in 4 years.

If comes down to it, I can still run CAT6 through my house until I finish the drywall in my basement. Until then, it's all CAT5 for me.

My current server is built off of a MINI-ITX motherboard based off of the AMD A68N-5200. It's been perfect, super efficient and no add-on cards needed (ended up getting a drive controller to add the mirrored drives though). So good in fact that I threw one into my HTPC.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Before you buy that Drobo, take a good look at Synology. I've had a Drobo for about 4 years now and I bought a Synology in Jan. Hands down MUCH BETTER, IMHO.

FlyingPenguin wrote:I'm going to buy a 4 drive bay Drobo when I move into the new house, and that report is convincing me to use Seagate 8TB drives (assuming it takes them). They're getting an impressive failure rate of just under 1% on 9,800 drives running nearly 900,000 hours.

Right now all of my media files (except ripped DVDs) are on my file server on two mirrored 2TB drives. The DVDs are all on a 6TB (4 - 2TB drives, 1 for parity) UnRaid array box which has served me well for years but is getting a bit long in the tooth.

New house is all CAT6 for future proofing (10Gb/sec IN THEORY with the right switch). I'll be running 1Gbit to start with. 10Gbit switches are way too pricey right now, but down the road that will change.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Thx. Will look into it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "