Airplane mode on Win10 desktop -wtf??

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
wvjohn

Airplane mode on Win10 desktop -wtf??

Post by wvjohn »

I've been getting random appearances of airplane mode on the network icon on the bottom right corner of the screen. Sometimes my internet goes off. can't see any real pattern except that it is a total PIA , esp when gaming. No wireless adapter installed (though I have used one in the past)

looked up in the usual sources. says go to settings, turn off airplane mode, when I go to settings there is no airplane mode?

any ideas??? TIA
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Airplane mode on Win10 desktop -wtf??

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You probably came across this one already: Method 1: Modify the Network Adapter Properties
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X (or right click the Start menu) and select Device Manager from the menu.

2. Expand the Network adapters, right click on the network adapter of you device and select Properties.

3. Select Power Management tab from the pop-up dialog box and uncheck the item Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

4. Click OK to save the changes.
Could be Win10 auto-updated your driver and installed a balky one. Go into the Device Manager and see if you can roll back the network interface driver to the previous version.

Sometimes just disabling and then re-enabling a network adapter fixes goofy problems like this.

Was there a time recently when it DIDN'T do this? Might want to try rolling it back to an earlier restore point.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: Airplane mode on Win10 desktop -wtf??

Post by wvjohn »

thanks! I figured it was some windoze glitch. my MB has 2 nics, so I did the fix on both of them. I had tried to find those setting before, but now they are changed!