Opinions on Creative PC-DVD Encore with DXR3 Decoder?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Getting one for a friend and planning to play with it to see if I want one. They just released Win2K drivers for the DXR3.

Anyone got any comments good or bad on this unit?

Thanks...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Jim Z
Golden Member

Post by Jim Z »

works ok. If you have a faster system then you don't really have to have the decoder (though software decoding will take up most of the CPUs time). I had a problem with mine where once the Dxr3 drivers were installed I would get a BSOD occasionally when I ejected a disc...
Splitfire
Golden Member

Post by Splitfire »

Mine worked pretty well under Win98. It had some strange problems with blacks and not showing the background correctly (sounds wirerd, I know). I got rid of mine a while bakc because I got sick of waiting for Creative to release DXR3 drivers for Win2k and I had Win98 sitting on my HD ONLY for DVDs. You can imagine the pain in the arse it was to switch OSes just to play a DVD. But overall, I think it is a pretty good setup for an entry level computer.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
ckaaron
Goober Member

Post by ckaaron »

would have to agree with the entry level note. I bought this kit thinking it was a super deal for $149. however, the 12x/40x DVD drive is WAY overstated in speed - tested at 15x CD-ROM with sandra2000(and a yugo could go 300 with a booster rocket). the dxr3 (hollywood) card caused problems in APMS in my system. damn thing wouldn't boot-up with the card installed - pull it and it would boot. Called them, and they had fewer answers for it than I already did. Installing this thing is a nightmare, and when I finally got it to run IT SUCKED! Lacking color, definition, and contrast, and actually showing running code down the side of the window. The picture was worse than a VHS rental from blockbuster, and I think the sound patches screwed with my Live! Platinum card - the volume is on the floor at any setting now. *SIGH* thanks again for screwing up every other app and device in my system.

I would also like to throw in a word for the Creative Labs Live! Platinum 5.1 soundcard--- DON'T. The card sounds great, but forget the livedrive remote. It may look pretty, having enough plugs to support Avid video editing, however the remote and interface software are possessed - performing no useful function other than freezing your system and causing you to scramble for the keyboard. There is NO interface between that remote and the DVD Dxr3 hoolabaloo either, which makes it an even more useless instrument (unless you use it to scratch where you can't reach - no comment).

Overall, the only thing Creative Labs will ever have is a soundcard. I've seen everything with their name on it, and it all sucks. Do yourself a favor, save yourself some bucks, time and effort. Buy yourself a nice Pioneer DVD tray or slot loader for around a hundred bucks and enjoy.

Footnote: A DVD drive that claims 12x/40x speed, and delivers results of 3x/15x is a blatant rip-off, and a parody of the terms they use. remember packard bell monitors, and the start of the "viewable image size". maybe thanks to these guys we can have "actual read speed" listings to even further confuse the specs. The only thing Creative is their ability to repackage mediocre products in glitzy boxes, and promise the world. All this from a company that touts the dxr3 card as "designed and manufactured by them", when it's really just a relabeled version of a hollywood card. When their tech support suggested that it may have been damaged, I asked him if it could've happened when they stamped their name over everything on it. The guy laughed, but it's really sad. Here is a company with all the resources anyone could have, and they're not really doing anything Creative! at all. peace.
Life is what happens while you're busy doing something else.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Thanks guys.

This guy needs the hardware decoder since he wants to watch on a TV sometimes and doesn't have a TV out on his card, so I feel okay about it. I have a few weeks to install and assemble it for him and if I have problems I can send it back and get something else local.

For me, though, since I have an Asus V6800 Geforce with TV out, I may shop around for a Pioneer. GoogleGear has a the 16/40x tray loader for $77, and the slot loader for $87. Any pro/cons slot versus tray loader?
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Frost
Golden Member

Post by Frost »

Slot loaders rule. The only thing is have you ever seen those miniature cds?? they are exactly the same as regular ones, but are only like 3 inches in diameter instead of 5 or whatever. ANyways, my friend put one in a slot loader and it got stuck. :( he got it out though. Thats the only thing I can think of that would be bad about them. I HATE wating for trays, and slots just look cooler :)
<a href=mailto:Frost@pcabusers.com>E-mail</a> / <a href=http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=frost>Heatware</a> / <a href=http://frostyspc.homestead.com>My computer</a>