New gaming monitor. AOC 35" curved

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Losbot
Almighty Member

New gaming monitor. AOC 35" curved

Post by Losbot »

Loving this new monitor the wife got me for the holidays.
ImageImage

I was skeptical but I'd read quite a few solid reviews and since I tend to watch a lot of my TV shows at my PC, this thing looks amazing. I can play a 1080p movie on the left and have my browser open to the right of the movie so I can get some stuff done. Not a single dead pixel and feels very solid. Nice little arm on the right side to hang your headphones or VR, that swings out of sight if you don't want it. Nice blue LED lights that shine under and behind it, with 3 levels and off. So far, so good.

AOC AGON AG352UCG 35” Curved Gaming Monitor
35" MVA Panel, 3440 x1440 Resolution, 100hz w/ display port, 4ms response time
Brightness- 300 cd/m2, Dynamic Contrast Ratio- 20,000,000:1, 21:9 Aspect Ratio
Connectivity-Display Port 1.2, HDMI 1.4, (2) USB 3.0 (1x charging)
Speakers, Audio line-in/out, G Sync Compatible
Curved 1800R, Wall Mountable, Height Adjustable

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG352UCG-344 ... 06X9CBRTP/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: New gaming monitor. AOC 35" curved

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I guess AOC is pushing into the upscale gaming market. They used to be reknown for making really cheap quality consumer monitors.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Very nice! I moved up to a 32 a while back and it makes a huge difference. After a while, using a "regular" monitor is like looking at a small laptop for me. 1st world problems :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. Good review here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aoc-ag ... ng-monitor

The price doesn't scare me. I'm looking at a Dell 34" ultra wide curved monitor right now in the same neighborhood, that's no even G-Sync. I don't NEED GSync, since it's going on the workstation not the gaming PC, BUT I have noticed that the high refresh rate on my G-Sync gaming monitor makes the the mouse very sharp and crisp. It doesn't blur out when you move it fast.

I'll have to consider this. I'm just still having a problem with the AOC branding. They used to make such crappy monitors famous for cheap quality and cheap price with no frills TN panels. I wonder if they bought someone out for their gaming monitor division?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

OK, so they started the "Agon" branded gaming monitor line back in the middle of 2016:
http://www.pcgamer.com/aoc-kicks-off-ag ... d-monitor/
AOC might not be the first company you think of when it comes to gaming products, but it's hoping to change that with its new Agon gaming brand. Going forward, all future AOC products aimed at gamers will fall under the Agon umbrella, while existing solutions will be rebranded with the new moniker.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yes, it's an Agon.
I was looking at the other monitors but they also capped out at 60Hz. This one is 100Hz at that resolution. Everything is crisp.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've been eyeballing something similar for a while. I just barely have time to get on my own PC these days (daughter is a pretty big gamer).
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You still happy with this monitor? My concern is more the desktop experience than gaming.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town the past week. Just returned today.

I'm VERY happy with it. Honestly.
Over time, I've been playing with the settings and toned it down, as it can be a rather bright monitor. Not a washed out bright, just bright overall.
Once I got it dialed in the way I have now, it looks great and I can stare into it for hours. I'm doing desktop, gaming and watching movies. Does everything really great.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh okay, I pulled the trigger on this today to replace my two aging 22" Dell Ultra Sharps.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Obviously too late, but another option: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-v ... ng-monitor
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts on it.
Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Oh okay, I pulled the trigger on this today to replace my two aging 22" Dell Ultra Sharps.
It would be interesting to see which monitor you prefer for gaming. The larger 35" or the 28" with the faster refresh rate.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Honestly, I'm fine with the old ROG 27" GSync. Great monitor, and I don't REALLY want a wide screen for gaming with the higher resolution and thus bigger demand on the video card.

Now don't get me wrong, I will put the 980 back in my workstation and try some gaming on that widescreen just to see what it's like, but I really just want the desktop real estate and the flicker-free mouse you get with the higher refresh.

And who knows, maybe I'll love it for gaming and have to get another for the workstation :D

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well Nuby gets to say "I told you so". I hadn't realized this monitor has dual inputs (DP & HDMI) so I had an epiphany to reduce the clutter on my desk: I eliminated the old ROG gaming monitor and connected this new one to both my gaming PC (via DP for G-Sync) and to the workstation (via HDMI). Just using the source switch on the monitor, and I connected a single mouse and keyboard to both via an old KVM switch I had laying around. Works great.

The monitor is very well built: solid & rugged, with excellent fit and finish. Sharpness is awesome. Whites are very white (one of my major nitpicks), with good deep blacks. The monitor is incredibly bright out of the box - I had to crank the brightness down 50%.

The build-in speakers are surprisingly good. I'm trying to keep desk clutter to a minimum so I was using a sound bar on my old Dell Ultrasharp on the workstation (I only use a headset for gaming), and the internal speakers sound a heck of a lot better than that old sound bar.

So far played COD WWII, KF2 and L4D2 on it for testing with no issues. Getting a solid 100+ fps, and I really see no reduction in gaming or desktop quality video quality going from 144 Hz refresh to 100 Hz. Heck anything over 90 seems to be fine.

Very happy with the monitor. Thanks for the recommendation Los!

And as a comparison, this is the THREE monitors this one monitor replaced, which gave me back a LOT of desk space: