Blu-Ray Burner Caught Fire

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Blu-Ray Burner Caught Fire

Post by Losbot »

The cut security tape bothers me but that's just me.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I ordered a refurb power supppy years back and it came with a bunch of the cables taped together with electrical tape. No. No. No. LAst time I did that. I've bought a couple of refurb dells for garage box and wife needed a small dedicated lappy for a project, and those were ok.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I did e-mail Amazon today concerning both issues.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Amazon responded. They gave me $10 credit on the power supply and asked me let me know if I have any problems with it. They offered 30% refund on the Burner. I accepted it as it.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Interesting, I had the same experience last week. My server had shut down and it's set to automatically re-start if that happens. I checked it out & the plug on my 8tb drive was burnt to a crisp. And, like you I had it on an adapter because the original power supply didn't have SATA connectors. I removed the adapter & the server booted right up. Fortunately, the drive was a mirror.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

It's so crazy that these adapters exist in the first place. I'm glad that it didn't do more damage.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

When I get some time later this week, I'm going to clean the drive off and see if it will come to life for the heck of it. The adapters are a necessity and I can't believe they couldn't be done right. But I'm amazed all the other things that the Chinese can't do right.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I found this thread on reddit concerning options for these adapters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... h_on_fire/

I guess good adapters exist but I'm too gun shy to use them. An interesting alternative if you PSU has the amperage is a SATA splitter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Pow ... B0086OGN9E