New 128GB SSD $29

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

New 128GB SSD $29

Post by Executioner »

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3294957 ... w-28.html/
When we saw Amazon selling 120GB Kingston A400 SSDs for $28 earlier this week, we shared the deal with you as quickly as possible. Just $28 for an SSD! That’s a ridiculously good price for fast storage, and we didn’t expect it to last long. But get this: Instead of fading away, that deal is still going strong—and unbelievably, other SSD makers have dropped prices to match it.

Two other 120GB budget SSDs now straddle the Kingston A400’s $28 price. The PNY CS900 costs $30 on Amazon, down from a $50 retail price, while the Silicon Power S55 is now $27.
Mentioned in this article
Silicon Power 120GB SSD
$26.99
See it
on Amazon

We haven’t tested any of these models, but like we said in our initial Kingston coverage, don’t expect them to crack our list of the best SSDs. But no matter: even the slowest SSD blows away the performance of the fastest mechanical hard drives. The 120GB capacity of these drives is more than enough to store Windows and your most-used software, which will unlock the faster startup times, speedy file transfers, and snappy responsiveness that SSDs offer. If your PC has room inside, you can leave the rest of your space-sucking files—documents, pictures, music, movies, and so forth—on the hard drive you’re upgrading from.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: New 128GB SSD $29

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nothing great but ANY SSD is faster than a HDD. A cheap drive like this may not be reliable in the long run so I wouldn't trust it with critical data, but if you want to improve the performance of a laptop, what the heck.

Benchmarks:
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/ ... 400S37120G
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - I decided to download and test my performance with this old rig that I have using their benchmark software:

UserBenchmarks: Game 40%, Desk 29%, Work 21%
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 - 28.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 75.7%
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB - 48.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB - 38.6%
RAM: Unknown 4x2GB - 17%
MBD: Asus P5K-E

The only component that is decent is the Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB. Since my mobo is so old, I can't use SATA3 so it's stuck on SATA2 performance.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've seen it for as low as $24 recently. I've started implementing them into our company laptops & desktops. They have all worked well so far. Certainly faster than the spinning drives.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Nothing great but ANY SSD is faster than a HDD. A cheap drive like this may not be reliable in the long run so I wouldn't trust it with critical data, but if you want to improve the performance of a laptop, what the heck.

Benchmarks:
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/ ... 400S37120G
I'm very particular about the brands I buy, but regarding pricing, keep an eye out, it seems SSDs is in for price crash probably within the year. There's so much being made, it may soon rival spinning disks on a per GB price.
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

I have had very bad luck with Kingston SSDs. They are installed in some machines by the vendor we get the PCs from, but they seem to tend to die in a year or so. Total failure, all data lost kind of deaths. It got so bad that when we get any of these PCs in, the first thing I do is rip out the Kingston SSD and replace it with a Samsung. I have a few Samsung 840 Pro SSDs running several TB of writes over several years with no issues at all.

These SSDs would be good for a cheap secondary system that doesn't see a lot of hard use, or isn't mission critical, but I wouldn't put one in my main PC.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I have been purchasing the Inland branded drives from Microcenter. I actually asked a few of the sales guys if they're experiencing any return issues with these drives vs other brands and they both replied with a no. Of course, the brand seems relatively new. Still, we've been running a few of these for about a year without issues.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

FYI, they have the 1TB version for $139 which is incredible.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I would not get the Kingston, but I would get the PNY: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722XPTL6/re ... B01N6JQS8C