Issues replacing HDD

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
wvjohn

Issues replacing HDD

Post by wvjohn »

This should be simple, but there must be something I'm missing. AllI want to do here is move win10 from a 500gb drive to a 1 TB drive. Both drives are samsung. Win10 with current updates.

1. Use Samsung magician to clone drive. New drive will not boot.

2. Make a win10 repair disk (assuming there is a problem with the MBR) , reboot select repair - no workee?

3. bad copy on new ssd?

thx
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Issues replacing HDD

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not familiar with using Samsung Magician for this. I use Acronis. You using latest version? There can be issues with secure boot.

There's an imaging app called Image for Windows that Steve Gibson recommends. I believe you can clone a drive with no restrictions with the free version.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FYI, this device is pretty dam nice for cloning drives:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C ... UTF8&psc=1

Macrium is also my preferred cloning software. I used Acronis for many years as well, but now it's pretty much just Macrium.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

thx gang. tried using macrium, an dit looks like a righteous copy, but still coulcn't get it to work. my win10 is a bootstrapped version of Win7 - from the exception that was there before. Dunno if that is an issue. My boot drive now (and the copied one) have 2 partitions - one mbr/one ntfs. My recollection is that boot drives aren't partitioned like that. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

btw macrium is very fast - about 40 mins for a 400gb+ drive.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm puzzled. If it's a Win7 to Win10 upgrade, then I assume UEFI and Secure Boot are disabled, which usually makes a clone easier.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The only thing I can think of to try is to make a Windows 10 installation USB and see if it will repair the cloned drive.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

For now I just deleted a bunch of stuff and have space. I am very fumbly these days with fingers and manage to break one of the connectors to the existing C: , swapped around and got that fixed. Going to come back to it when I feel smarter.