New PC Build

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Err
Life Member

New PC Build

Post by Err »

A friend at work wanted me to go to Microcenter in Columbus with him yesterday. He bought a new MB, processor, RAM, M.2, and CPU cooler. I got the same but also bought a case, power supply, Hard Drive, and spare video card (EVGA 1030).

I didn't have too many hiccups. When I was connecting the power supply, I couldn't figure out how I was going to plug in an 8 and 4 pin on the top of the MB. I didn't realize that the 8 pin connector was a 4+4. The case wiring wasn't too bad but routing everything is still a pain. I've left it running for about 10 hours now. All I have installed is utilities and Far Cry 5 at the moment. I did let the October Feature update install. I figured now is a good time to see what happens since I don't have anything important installed yet. I realized that Cyberlink's website is trash as I was looking for my PowerDVD 16 download. I can't find where to download it. My account shows I own it, shows me the key, but only takes me to patches when I click the software. I have the installer on the other PC but i was hoping to just download it.

It's very quiet. The M.2 is wicked fast.

Build List:
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming pro Carbon
CPU - Intel I7 9700K
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 16GB 3200 DDR4
Cooler - Corsiar H100i Pro
M.2 - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
HD - Western Digital Black 4 TB (will be adding a 4 TB Gold, and 2 TB Black from previous PC eventually)
Power Supply - Corsair RM850X
Case - Fractal Define R6 USB-C
Windows 10 Pro OEM

Executioner
Life Member

Re: New PC Build

Post by Executioner »

What is the M.2?
How much ram? Did you go for 16 or 32?
I like having the power supply at the bottom, but your right. It can be a hassle to get the cables where you want them.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

This is an M.2:https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO- ... B07BN217QG

It's an SSD but it slots in directly to your motherboard. In the pics, you can kind of see it above the Video Card. The model I bought is called a NVMe PCIe and communicated through the PCI express. This removes the bottleneck of a standard SATA connection and allows for extremely fast read and writes. My Windows 10 boot is almost instant after the BIOS posts.

I went with 32 GB RAM. This board will hold 64.

The wiring was a pain because it seemed every time I brought a connector through the grommet in the case, it was oriented wrong and I had to turn it 180 degrees to get it where I need it.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Booting:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I just use VLC for playing DVDs. It has its own built in codec. I haven't used PowerDVD in a decade.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I use PowerDVD for BluRays. It's possible to use VLC to play them but I could never get it to work.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ah. I never play blurays on my pc. Don't even have one installed.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Since I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, I found the installation files. It works fine. Office is installed. I'm not bringing over anything important until this runs for a few days. It's so much quieter that my other build. The case has rubber dampeners for the Spinners and sound deadening material on the front and side panels. The top had it also but I had to remove the top for the CPU cooler. It's hovering around 32 C idle. I stressed it and it got around 60 C. I haven't attempted overclocking and I doubt I try. This thing is really fast.

The only thing about the case I don't like is the HDD activity LED. It's very bright and since there's quite a bit of activity, it's a bit distracting.

I was very tempted to get the I9-9900K. It's basically an I7-9700K with Hyper-threading. For me 8 cores is plenty.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

looking good!
darcy

Post by darcy »

Enjoy!! :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I think I might need to start to consider water cooling. Now that I look back at my last build, my fan is ridiculously large.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

psypher wrote:I think I might need to start to consider water cooling. Now that I look back at my last build, my fan is ridiculously large.
I wasn't going to use it until I pulled that Noctua D15S out of the box at the store. I didn't want that much mass hanging of my board. There are potential downsides to a water cooler such as leaks and pump failure.

I did set up the LED on my cooler to change with the CPU Temp. It's blue until it reaches 60 C and then turns yellow. I have it changing to red if it ever reached 75 C.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The way that most if those tall coolers mount (metal backplate on the bottom of the mobo) it's really not a problem.

Modern coolers are as good as, or better, than water blocks nowadays, although water does have the noise reduction advantage

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:The way that most if those tall coolers mount (metal backplate on the bottom of the mobo) it's really not a problem.

Modern coolers are as good as, or better, than water blocks nowadays, although water does have the noise reduction advantage
Well noise isn't really a factor with mine, thing is practically silent. But well, this is what I mean by massive hehe.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, that's what the good ones look like now. You have the option of adding a second fan if you need more cooling. These "tower" coolers are the state of the art now for air cooled HSFs.

My Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is the same style - it BARELY fits in my cases. I used it on both my rigs. They have big metal backing plates so there's really no problem with them causing any damage the the mobo.

Mine are very quite unless I'm transcoding video, and even then it's not very loud.

Not my rig, this is a photo from a review of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo: