new monitor just hooked up....resolution probs

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

i just hooked up the 21" monitor i bought from Bummer...and have a few questions.

i'm using a Radeon 32MB DDR to power this beast, running at 1600x1200 desktop @75Hz. the only problem i'm having is that when i switch to play Q3 or UT (both set for 1024x768), the game will only take up a portion of the screen (like it's squished in the center of the monitor's screen). when i switch them to 1280x1024 they then take up the entire screen like normal.

is there any way to get the 1024x768 to take up the whole screen? the games aren't smooth enough at the higher resolutions for me. :(

i have installed the newest .inf file from the manufacturer...
MTDEW
Goober Member

Post by MTDEW »

Does the screen "squish" when you set your desktop to 1024x768?

If it does, use the monitor controls to adjust the picture to fill the screen & your monitor should save those settings for that resolution(1024x768) & your games should look fine.

But if your desktop doesnt "squish" at 1024x768 but your games do, then that means theyre using two different refresh rates. (highly unlikely Bcuz your using a single 3d accelerator)

If by chance the games are using a different refresh rate than your "centered-fullscreen1024x768" desktop, then theres a little progie called HZTOOL that will allow you to set one constant refresh rate for every resolution & that should cure your problem.

Sorry I dont have a link to HZTOOL at the moment but its very popular & a simple search should locate it.
Mike89

Post by Mike89 »

I only know about setting it up on an Nvidia card but it should be the same. When you set all your resolutions, set your preferred refresh rates at each color depth (that your monitor supports) to each. Do not use "adapter default" or "optimal". Using either one of those will let the game set its own. Setting them yourself in the display properties will not. When you set these resolutions/color depth/refresh rates, you may have to use your monitor's controls to adjust the screen size. Once you do all this setting up, you should be good to go with possibly a few minor screen size adjustments as the monitor sets itself.
b-man1

fixed

Post by b-man1 »

thanks, got it fixed.

i just needed to adjust the screen size on the desktop for each resolution. i didn't bother to do that and went straight to the 1600x1200, so all the others were messed up.

thanks again!