My turn: New toy - DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Losbot
Almighty Member

My turn: New toy - DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Post by Losbot »

So after playing with a Mavic Spark a couple of months ago, I decided I wanted a drone for my Bday/early Father's Day so I got a Mavic 2 Zoom.

Very easy to fly. Lots of cool features and an abundance of safeguards built in. The zoom feature on the drone is nice. I need to tinker some more with it and do more reading but after doing some basic things with it in beginner mode, I took the training wheels off. I've flown some RC back in the day and I'm comfortable with my abilities. I took it for a spin and sent off, out West (I live close to the Everglades). I only wish I had a better line of sight, as houses, tress and other things kill your signal but despite that, I was able to travel a little over 2 miles (11k ft) before the video signal started to hit 1 or 2 bars. That was just for video feed. I still had about 3 bars on the remote control signal. Could have continued on a Instrument flight. LOL

I hit the RTH button and watched it Return To Home just fine. It has some safeguards now where if it loses signal then it will stop in it's tracks. If it loses the signal for an extended time, like 30 or 60 seconds, it will RTH.

I need to play with the features that allow you to track people or pick a point of interest and it will circle it or perform other patterns while keeping the object centered. The video below was flown manually and it's my family's new house they just built. I showed him the drone and he wanted an aerial of the house.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: My turn: New toy - DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice. I've been thinking of upgrading from my venerable old DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I've been looking at the Mavic 2 lately.

BTW: My Phantom is old enough that the transmitter battery died last month. DJI, sadly, does NOT offer replacement batteries. They want you to send the whole transmitter in for RMA. There's some DIY battery install guides out there but it's not a simple matter. You can't just swap out the battery pack - there's a charging board built into the pack that's proprietary.

I sent mine in and they charged me $64 for the battery replacement. Curious thing is, they actually replaced the entire transmitter, even though the invoice stated that it was a $4 part and $60 labor. I'm not complaining. The old transmitter was giving me a lot of intermittent connectivity issues and the new one has been rock solid.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I love how compact the damn thing is when folded up. I bought the "fly more" pack, which give you 2 more batteries, extra props, a charging station and car charger.
Also picked up a nice carrying case on Amazon. Carries everything neatly and organized.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Love the case!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Love the case!
Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HLYBBDT/