4K Monitor Question

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Err
Life Member

4K Monitor Question

Post by Err »

I'm considering a new monitor. I'm currently on an HD with a GTX 1080 (non-TI) and have my PS4 pro, Switch, and Ultra HD Blu-Ray player hooked to to it through an HDMI switch.

I'm considering this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074PK4R2H/ ... _lig_dp_it

Question - How do lesser resolutions look on a 4K Monitor? I know that I won't be able to run some games at 4K so if I run them at 1080 or 2160 to make up for the framerate loss, will there be a noticeable loss in quality?

I'm leaning towards not upgrading at this time even though I have the Player for 4K. Everything I own is on Blu-Ray or DVD. My collection will never see a 4K upgrade so everything would be up-scaled. However, the ASUS I liked above is 4" bigger than my current ASUS and has Adaptive Sync. It also has a Display Port that my current monitor is lacking (still running DVI) and two HDMI ports. I still need to measure to make sure it will fit on my desk though.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: 4K Monitor Question

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My monitor is 3440x1440 and even on my GTX1080 superclock, it can be a job to get decent framerates at full resolution in some games. GTA Online, for instance, floats around 60fps at the quality settings I prefer, and I do have to turn off some visuals to maintain that frame rate. Similar issues with Call of Duty WWII, Black Mesa & Killing Floor 2. Even though I have a 100 Hz refresh, I'll cap these games at 60. I'd rather see a solid 60 FPS than see the jitter from having the frame rate jump around wildly. Those 4K Monitors are a huge amount of real estate, and you need a high end card to push the pixels. Yours would be even more real estate than mine.

Because I'm into retro FPS gaming, I have to run some older games at less than that resolution because they don't support resolutions that high, and it works fine. As usual with LCD panels, at lower resolutions you will not get as sharp an image as at the native resolution, but it's quite acceptable. Most monitors, like mine, will default to trying to fill the screen. If the game doesn't support my aspect ratio, I'll have black vertical bars on the left and right sides.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks FP.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. It may depend on how the Panasonic player I ordered to replace the Sony I'm returning looks on my current monitor. Hopefully it's like the Sony and all I have to do is plug it in and set the output to 1080P 60. I know that I'm not buying a new video card soon unless mine dies. I was looking at benchmarks and a 2080TI has issues pushing 4K at 60. The PS4 Pro gets away with 4K because it's not true 4K. They use an alternating checkerboard. Also, it's limited to 30 FPS in that mode (I think).

After reading some of the reviews for the monitor I linked above, I'm going to have to do more research. My must have is an audio out. Otherwise I won't be able to hear my switch or PS4 pro. It also needs to be under 28".
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

This site is super helpful. The reviews also state if they monitor is HDCP compatible or not.

https://www.displayninja.com/reviews/monitors/