My new desktop build - issue

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

My new desktop build - issue

Post by Executioner »

Well, nothing wrong with the build, but my old Antec P180 case had an issue with the bottom fan. While removing the old mobo and other components, I noticed that the bottom fan was not working. When I put my hand inside to manually turn the fan, it would not move and required probably about 1/4 lb of force to make it spin using my finger. So I removed it from the case, and sure enough, there was an issue with the fan. The issue is: I'm surprised that it did not cause a fire since it was still plugged in but not functioning.

Here is a pic of the case:

Any of you guys ever had this issue with a fan that was very very very stiff to turn? The desktop was mostly on 24/7 except when I went on a vacation then it would be powered off. I was surprised that it does not have any electrical burning smell, or even worse - catch fire.
normalicy

Re: My new desktop build - issue

Post by normalicy »

Oh, I've run into many seized fans. Never caused a fire that I'm aware of.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've seen seized fans. I've never heard of one catching fire.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks. That is good to know.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

If you're replacing fans, I'd highly recommend Noctua brand fans. They're an Austrian brand known for moving lots of air but generating less noise. Since I have a full rack of crap at home, I usually replace the stock crap fans with Noctua ones so as to cut down on fan noise.

https://noctua.at/
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Another vote for Noctua I have them in my workstation and gaming rig.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I replaced the stock fan on my Cooler Master H212 with a Noctua. I wished I'd had it on there from the beginning. It was so quiet.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Reminds me - I need to order a Noctua 120mm for my file server. I had to stick a 120mm fan behind the HDD bay to keep the new WD Blacks cool, otherwise they overheat. Not much airflow in the original case design (it's a re-purposed Dell desktop).

I don't notice it much since it's in the office closet, but when I open the closet door it's sure noticeable.

This is the one I buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00650P2ZC
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm glad you posted that link to Amazon. I have a duplicate case as the one above (it was given to me), and I noticed the fan on the top is starting to make a little noise. The fan comes with a small micro switch with 3 speed settings: low, medium, and fast. I have them set at the lowest setting, but it looks like this fan is controlled by the BIOS because it's a 4 pin?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On a modern mobo, the mobo is going to manage the fan speeds. All that switch is going to do is reduce the range.