Dang nice high speed duplex scanner for $270

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Dang nice high speed duplex scanner for $270

Post by FlyingPenguin »

A friend is working at home and wanted a fast duplex scanner like she has at the office. What she has at her office is a very nice, but very expensive, Fujitsu scanner. Those things, with Twain support, cost $900 or more.

I did some research and found the Epson workforce ES-400 has excellent reviews, is extremely reasonably priced at $270, and is even faster than the Fujitsu model she uses at work (if you have USB 3.0).

Dang nice scanner. We got it all setup today, and it does everything. Even auto detects whether the pages are duplex printed or not. The Epson Scan Manger opens automatically when you press the scan button, and it can save as a PDF.

The printer is also Twain compliant if you prefer your own scanning software.

I'm sorely tempted to get one for myself. I sometimes have to scan huge 30+ page double sided reports.

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce- ... 01M4NANZ6/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: Dang nice high speed duplex scanner for $270

Post by psypher »

Nice. I've been wanting to get a fast document scanner, been on the fence between the Epson and Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1500. I did finally get a Brother color laser printer, so that's been nice. New scanner is next. I'm still using this Canon flatbed scanner that I've had for like 10 years now.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Hopefully it does better than the DS-1630 that I got. It's fast, but super picky when feeding. Several times I've had it feed several pages in one pass or get stuck on seemingly nothing. It's also really picky on what kind of paper it feeds. Thicker paper (not card stock) really messes it up. I really need something that works well because I'm scanning 400 page manuals on the regular (I cut the binding off). I'd like to know how this one works out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So far so good. She's fed a few 25 page reports into it, but then again after some time goes by tolerances go off.

Fujitsu is the king of reliable ADF scanners. I've got clients who've been using the same scanner for 5 years, under heavy use, and never replaced the rollers.

The problem is they cost a fortune.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

When I was managing a law firm's IT Dept, we had an army of those Fuji desktop scanners. Agreed, they are the workhorses of the legal field. Just too damn pricey for home.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I snagged one of those Fujitsu scanners, model S510 for home use. Actually, I brought it home and it's part of my work desk. I'm retiring shortly - May 29 will be my last day at work, but I'm not going to turn that back in since they don't even know I have it. I'll call me my gift for working there almost 34 years. When I was running the department, I purchased almost 10 of them for our staff. The one I have is probably 5 years old.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Paying a bit extra is worth it for the hours saved in verifying the document's accuracy. One missing page requires either a re-scan (frequently with the same result) or flipping through hundreds of pages to find the missing one. I'll be keeping an eye out for a one of the Fujitsus.