Windows 10 Not using ALL memory..

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Windows 10 Not using ALL memory..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey All!

So I've been struggling with resolving an issue I have run across on a few different machines.. My current daily is an HP EliteBook 755.. It has 8GB of Ram, but when I pull up the System Tab it says 8.00GB (3.82 Usable). And if I check task manager it reflects this as well. How the hell do I fix it?! I have googled and watched a bunch of YouTube videos but none of the advice I have found works. I've swapped out memory for known good stuff and no dice. I can't change the BIOS settings most people refer to as the options just aren't there or are not unlocked. I have run across at least 3 different machines that show this. It's killing me.. My old EliteBook was a first gen i7 with the same amount of memory and it would leave this thing in the dust.. I even upgraded to a 500GB SSD hoping that would show me signs of improvement and I'm not really seeing much difference. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

TIA!

eGo
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 Not using ALL memory..

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Do you have a 32 bit version of Windows? It was limited to 4GB. 3.82 sounds about right because the rest is for the onboard graphics.

Also some older (like Q6600 era) mobos can't support more than 4GB in 64bit Windows, although sometimes there's a BIOS update that fixes that.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Re: Windows 10 Not using ALL memory..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey FP.. Yah, using the 64bit version.. Still driving me crazy.. This is an HP EliteBook 755.. Maybe I'll get get a new one.. lmao