No video from sleep resume Gigabyte mobo

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Key Keeper

No video from sleep resume Gigabyte mobo

Post by Key Keeper »

I am reading hundreds of threads on the gigabyte boards having issues resuming from sleep in win 10. WTF?

Just built a machine for a very good friend Gig aourus Elite wifi and its doing the same damn thing. Mem is on the qvl,

From cold boot its fine. Updated the bios to latest non beta release. Tried a bunch of different chipset drivers from giga and AMD. No dice. Boots into windows lightning fast works great up until it goes to sleep. Hit keyboard and it will sometimes go back into windows (can hear login music) but no video. Just a blinking led on monitor. Tried 3 different hdmi cables, tried disabling xmp in bios. Tried another R9 270X, same thing. Turned off hybrid sleep in windows ect. Still wont come out of sleep. It will restart fine, but just wont show any video or even boot back into windows sometimes if it goes to sleep. Any ideas? Ive searched my butt off and tried all things that others had success with but no dice.

R5 2600X
R9 270X
500W PSU
SEAGATE FIRECUDA 4.0 NVME DRIVE
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB PC3000

Really pissing me off at this point. I have very similar setup with an asus board and it comes out of sleep fine.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: No video from sleep resume Gigabyte mobo

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have sleep mode issues with an older Asus Z170 mobo. Not full PC sleep, which I never use, but monitor sleep. It's not the video card because this PC has been through three of them. I just gave up and turned sleep off and just lock the PC with a lockscreen wallpaper up.

IMO sleep modes are poorly supported in most hardware. It only seems to work reliably on Laptops because it has to, so OEMSs seem to make an extra effort to support sleep mode properly in laptops.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well I just went over there and disabled sleep.

What really sucks, is if I click start>power>shutdown, it turns off, rather slow I may add....fans spin long after monitor goes off.
Then wait a min or two, hit the power button, and it boots into windows..............................no video, just a blinking led on monitor.

He thinks its ram so Im going to pull my ram and swap it into his, also going to take my evga 1060 over there and put it in as well. His 270x is old as dirt.

When I built it, I had my "test" card (270x) in it and never had this problem. He brought his video card over and swapped it in, and bam...no video. Reseated it and it worked but now this problem. He since used my test card a few times but same issue with it as well.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have a Asus Z170-K mobo with no issues when it goes to sleep including my old Samsung monitor. I hit the keyboard to bring it back. I have it set to go to sleep after 5 hours of inactivity.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Update.

Installed my ram, Corsair DDR3200, 16gb. Basically exact same ram as his except 3200 instead of 3000: Same shit
Installed my 1060SSC and bingo worked perfect. Could force sleep and it would come back out no issues.

So I installed my "test" 270X and it worked perfectly. I think he may have pulled his card and put "his" back in thinking it was my spare when i had previously asked him to try it. He swears he used my card and it did same thing.

Neither here nor there, hes 86yrs old so quite a cranky old fella. Smokes cigars, drinks scotch, still drives his "stinkin Lincoln" as he calls it every day. Guy takes olive leaf extract pills like candy his whole life. Cool old fella.

I told him to keep my test card and toss his old one in the scrap heap since its undependable.