DELL Did Me Dirty... RTX 3070 Dell XPS Pre-Built

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

DELL Did Me Dirty... RTX 3070 Dell XPS Pre-Built

Post by FlyingPenguin »

One of the ways to get your hands on an RTX 30xx card is to buy an OEM prebuilt PC, since OEMs have a certain allocation of video cards that can only be sold in OEM PCs.

I was considering going that route myself, until I got lucky and got that 3080 from the EVGA store queue. Since my gaming PC is a 6th gen Intel I7-6700 CPU (2015), it's getting a little long in the tooth. Still doing the job, but I know I'm a bit CPU limited in some games.

This guy ordered a Dell XPS with a 3070 to see what he would get. The 3070 is rock solid. Interestingly even though it looks like an NVidia OEM card, it has a more traditional EVGA style cooler. The rest of the PC is rather sad.

The PSU is a total deal breaker because it's a non standard form factor, and I bet it also uses non standard connectors. The wattage doesn't concern me because, from past experience, I know Dell PSUs are actually rated differently than normal PSUs. A Dell PSU's wattage is ONLY the 12 volt rails. All other PSU manufacturers include all the rails in the final wattage as a marketing gimmick. So that 550 Dell watt PSU is comparable to a 650watt standard PSU, which is adequate.

I'm also stunned it didn't come with a tower cooler. Every XPS I've ever seen has a tower cooler, and Dell's own website shows interior photos with a tower cooler. If'd be on the phone screaming bloody murder.

He also got screwed on the RAM. He specifically ordered it with dual channel memory (2x8GB) and they sent him a single 16GB Stick.

I've owned a couple Dell XPS systems in the past, and back then they were pretty solid with good coolers and roomy, well ventilated cases. This thing is pretty pathetic looking.

Still, an OEM PC is an option, if you're ready for a new PC anyway. I think I'd avoid the Dell XPS though, unless you want to pull the card out of it and give the PC to your significant other.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: DELL Did Me Dirty... RTX 3070 Dell XPS Pre-Built

Post by Losbot »

Wow. I mean, they basically did NOT give him what he paid for and crippled the system.
------------------------------------------