Note to self: install a laptop battery as soon as you get it

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Note to self: install a laptop battery as soon as you get it

Post by Executioner »

I have an Asus G751J gaming laptop that has a week battery. According to software, it says that battery health is 80%. So I decided to buy a replacement battery which I did last year. I was going to install it within a few weeks, but forgot about it. I found it on my shelf today, and decided to disassemble the laptop to get access to the battery. You can google on how to remove it - in a nut shell - a royal PITA.

I get the new one installed only to discover that it won't charge because I let it go to 0% - so the battery is a brick. I tried to carefully heat the battery to trick it in letting it charge, but no go. I put the original one in and it's charging so I'm pretty sure the battery is toast, unless someone as some ideas to try and salvage this new battery, please let me know.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Note to self: install a laptop battery as soon as you get it

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Doesn't sound like it was a good battery to start with. Sitting on a shelf for a year shouldn't completely kill a Lithium Ion battery.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Note to self: install a laptop battery as soon as you get it

Post by Executioner »

Yeah it seems like ANY replacement battery you get is just not the same as the original. On my Dell E6540 laptop, you can get only a reconditioned replacement battery. No longer offer new batteries. When playing games on this laptop, certain games will grab juice from the battery. I ordered a battery from Amazon which works fine as long as you don't play games. After about 3 minutes, the laptop will turn off.