Well now I'm building a new Workstation around a Ryzen 9 5950x

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Well now I'm building a new Workstation around a Ryzen 9 5950x

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's the only fans I use nowadays.

Well interesting twist last night. After upgrading to Win10 20H2 build, VMWare would BSOD as soon as I launched any VM. System was stable otherwise. Since VMware is the major reason for the hardware upgrade, this was somewhat vexing.

Some Googling showed this has been an issue in the past. Sometimes after a Windows Update, or there were a lot of reports of Avast causing it (but I don't have it installed).

Did a Windows file integrity check, which did find issues it fixed, but most of those seemed to be folder permissions inherited from the original Win8 install years ago.

What ended up fixing it was completely uninstalling VMware 15, scrubbing all the VMWare folders, AppData folders, registry entries, and manually removing the VMware network devices that always stubbornly remain, and then did a fresh install of the latest VMWare 16, which is working fine now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW, something interesting I learned in my research for fixing the VMware BSOD issue is that I (and apparently almost everyone) has been using the SFC tool to fix corrupt Windows file issues, incorrectly.

Long instructions and explainer here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... s-10-image

But to cut to the chase, the SFC /scannow command won't help you if the backup files stored in your OS image (that it uses to compare and fix any corrupt system files) are also corrupt. You need to update the OS image first, to make sure it's valid. You do that with the DISM command.

All this needs to be run from an elevated command line prompt, even if you're logged in as an admin (right-click CMD.EXE and "Run as admin"):

Run this first to verify your OS image backup with a valid copy on Microsoft's servers, and it will be updated if necessary:

Code: Select all

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Then run the SFC tool to check your system files for problems:

Code: Select all

SFC /scannow
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:31 pm Damn cooler made it really difficult to connect the CPU power cables and the optical drive cables.
It may be too difficult to do this now that you got your board mounted, but I think you can move the fans to the other side of the heatsink for a pull configuration. It would give you a bit more room for your drives.

Nice Build.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nope. Looked at that. The heatsink over the power chips on the back side of the CPU is too high.

No biggie, it fits, just hard to reach in with my big hands. Wound up pulling the optical drive out a bit.

I should have foreseen the CPU power cable issue and connected it before installing the mobo, but that wasn't to bad either.

Thank God most decent modern mobos don't have sharp edges. An only 2000's case would have sliced me up.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, I copied the data partition from the old workstation to the new one, so now I'm committed. Pulled the GTX 1080 out of the old PC and slapped it in the new one.

Side note: amazing that the GTX 760 I was using in there, temporarily, required two power connectors, and the GTX 1080 only requires one. Several times more powerful, and yet uses less power. And the RTX 3080 in my gaming PC has three power connectors. I guess we'll need a small substation to power the RTX 4080? :)

Anyway, plugged all my USB devices in and they just worked. So nice not to have to install drivers and configure things. Fingerprint reader just worked, and already knew me. Scanner just worked. Dymo label printer just worked.

Yeah, I know it's not a good thing to inherit all the baggage from a 6 year old OS install that dates back to Win8, but if I can put off the agony of a clean install for another 5 years when I'm forced to upgrade to Win11, I'll be happy. It really is a LOT of work on my workstation. SO many things to install and configure in a certain way. The gaming system is, by comparison, a piece of cake to do a clean install on, since I have nothing in there but games.

For the record, I did do some intensive file cleaning on the new PC. Found around 40GB of crap that I could clean. A good chunk of that was an APPDATA folder for Any Video Converter that had 25GB of video THUMBNAILS on it. I'm gonna write them and ask why that isn't purged after every job. Maybe I'll write a script to do it once a week.

Most of the rest was a bunch of ancient game data folders, and I haven't gamed on that PC in 5 years.

That and I uninstalled a bunch of software I no longer use.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice to see an improvement in transcode times, even using the same GPU. I guess it's just better PCIe throughput and faster RAM.

Transcoding a 15 minute test video from MKV 1080p to MP4 720p using GPU CUDA: Old PC = 67s. New PC = 50s
That adds up when transcoding a bunch of 1 hour videos. When prices get back to normal, I'll probably grab a 3060 for this rig, which should dramatically improve the transcoding speed.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

You got me thinking of doing an AMD build now for my workstation, but I'd probably just go with the 5900X. I'm a big fan of Fractal Design cases as well. I'm partial to their Define series, so I'd be getting a Define 7. Also looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4 fan. For MB, I may continue with ASRock's Taichi.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Seems like the 5900X has some high demand. Plenty of 5950X available, but I guess that $800 price keeps demand low.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FP, what memory did you use on yours build?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPLM1R1

I used D.C.O.P. in BIOS (similar to XMP on Intel boards) to pull the correct speed and timing from the RAM.

I've used this RAM in this workstation, my gaming PC, and a friends new graphics workstation, all on Asus X570 mobos with no issues. Runs at 3600 MHz stable.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FP, which case fans are you using? I have 3x new Noctua NF-S12A, but they are 120mm. Looks like the case says it uses 120/140mm fans, I just don't like the brown color of the ones I have :)

NM, I just saw that Noctua now has black and gray fans. I'll just get all new ones in gray.