OCC checks out some new M.2 SSD coolers from be quiet!

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

OCC checks out some new M.2 SSD coolers from be quiet!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have noticed that even under idle loads, the M.2 SSDs in my new rigs are warm to the touch.

The mobo I use does have a heatsink for them, although it's pretty basic - just a metal plate with a thermal pad, but it seems to do the job, although I haven't really monitored the temps on them.

I think it's probably enough unless you're running a datacenter server that's pushing a ton of data around all day, but I'm going to do some stress testing and monitor the temps to see how mine are running. I suspect the one that might be getting worked the hardest is the workstation when transcoding video. I do have mine directly behind a front intake fan in both cases, so it is getting airflow, which seems to make a big difference in his tests, even with no heatsink at all.

If it's needed, this looks like a good design. The few reviews on Amazon range from seeing a 5C difference to no change.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "