Rebuild a laptop battery?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Rebuild a laptop battery?

Post by Executioner »

Anyone ever attempt opening up and replacing the cells? There are several videos on youtube showing how. I think the biggest problem is getting good replacement cells. Like one of the videos that I saw, he stated that some cheap china cells will say they are 6000mwh when they are actually 1/2 of that.

I have my old laptop battery out of my Asus ROG G751JT laptop. Not a lot of fun taking this sucker apart just to remove the internal battery. I currently have one that I bought from Amazon, but it's not a very good battery. It does charge to 100%, but after about 30 minutes of use, it's already down to 60%, then it quickly drops after that, meaning within the next 5 minutes, it will be down to 6%! That is how quickly this battery drops.

I'm planning on returning it back to Amazon. I did contact the mfg and told me to return it, but I'm waiting for the one from Newegg to arrive.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Rebuild a laptop battery?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Never tried it with lithium ion batteries (remember, they can explode!).

I used to make my own NICAD battery packs for model planes. The problem attaching bridges between cells. At the factory they do it with a fancy rivet machine and flat bridges. The way I had to do it was solder wire bridges between cells. That was okay on airplane batteries, but it may not allow the cells to fit in a laptop battery case as the wire bulges.

You also need a lot of heat, but too much heat can damage the battery or melt the shrink wrap around the battery that keeps it from shorting out to an adjacent battery.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "