CPU question for moble

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

CPU question for moble

Post by Executioner »

I have a Dell E6540 that currently has an i5 cpu. I would like to replace it with an i7 (Intel Core i7-4810MQ) which is possible since the cpu is NOT soldered on the mobo. The i7 has the same speed as the i5 but it's a quad core instead of a dual core. My question is around the last segment of the CPU. What is the difference between a Intel Core i7-4810MQ 2.8GHz SR1PV and a SR1PV?

I found one for only $70 at https://discountcomputerdepot.com/parts ... g3-socket/

which is the cheapest price I could find.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: CPU question for moble

Post by FlyingPenguin »

SR1PV is the sSpec number. It's a unique identifier for each model CPU.
The sSpec number is also known as specification number. It's a five character string (SL36W, XL2XL, and so on) printed on the processor and used for identification. You can find this number by looking at the markings on the processor (see Figure 2), or on the boxed processor label.
I'd be careful. The E6540 never came with a 4810MQ, it came from the factory with the 4800MQ. Now the chips look virtually identical except for a slight clock speed difference, but they were released 9 months apart. It's possible the BIOS might not support the 4810MQ.

I'm not sure it's worth it.

-----
Actually the one you linked is a 4800, so that's a better match, but I still don't think it's worth it for that price.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks. So in my link to the Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7 GHz SR15L that should work then. I did read that the 4810 and others may cause your system to stress since it was not designed to support that processor. According to this video I saw, the author stated "If the laptop has a double tube in the cooling system, then you can use the i7-4800MQ. I do not recommend installing other processors, so that the transistors in the motherboard power circuits do not burn out."
So mine does have a dual tube for the 2 GPU's in the system. I also read that I would need a beefier power supply: from 90w to 130w.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Got my used Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7 GHz SR15L CPU installed. I also had to update the power brick to a 130 watt instead of a 90 watt. Took only 5 minutes to install it. So now I have 4 cores instead of only 2 with the i5 cpu. I'm sure it will run a bit hotter than the i5.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, I really don't notice that much difference. I'm sure it runs hotter than the i5. I tested it playing Crysis 1. Even on lowest settings, it works okay, but after about 30 minutes of play, it will start to slow down. I'm sure most of the issues can also be associated with the built in monitor. The laptop has 16 gigs of ram, and the game is on a SSD. I also now think that the video drivers are also an issue, since the AMD Radeon HD8790M one goes back to 2015, and the Intel 4600 goes back to 2018. These are drivers from Dell for the E6540 with no updates. The AMD Radeon is more of support for the Intel built in video since both are used when gaming.