13 Years of Dell Getting Worse

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

13 Years of Dell Getting Worse

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's an old Vostro 400 he dug out of the closet. Those were decent home PCs at the time with standard ATX PSUs. A lot of my clients bought them, many with quad core Q6600 CPUs, and 8800GT Nvidia video cards installed. The PSUs were on the cheap side and usually failed in 2 years with all the power surges we get here in Florida during the rainy season, but were easily replaced. I popped a lot of a Antec PSUs in those Vostros over the year.

I still have three old Vostro small form factors in use as media center PCs. Haven't had one fail yet, and they must be pushing 10 years old or more, one of them in a tight and poorly ventilated entertainment center.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: 13 Years of Dell Getting Worse

Post by FlyingPenguin »

LOL. Had to check to make sure, but I have that very same Vostro 400 with a Quad Core Q6600, and a 8800GT in the garage on my charity shelf. A client gave it to me a couple of years ago. I stuck an SSD on it with Win10 and it runs like greased lightning. Haven't found someone to give it to yet. Probably should donate it.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I can't remember what model my dad has but it's a very good PC for him. I recently upgraded him to an SSD. The wife's Inspirion laptop 1500(?) also still works although it's slow. I wouldn't touch their PC's, laptops, or printers now.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The front looks like it has lots of dust that has settled.

I also picked up a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 laptop a few days ago from a recycling center. It's in excellent shape except for one key on the keypad. Has 16 gigs of ram and a 250GB SSD installed with windows 10 21H1. The battery though is going. According to BatteryInfo, the life of the battery is at 45%. Has a touch screen also. Got it for $200. It will eventually replace my wife's Lenovo laptop.