Newegg tries to 'open box' scam Gamer's Nexus

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Newegg tries to 'open box' scam Gamer's Nexus

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Been following this story. This really is the smoking gun with an RMA paper trail back to the manufacturer.

Summary: Steve ordered an 'open box' mobo, wound up not needing it, never even opened the box, and sent it back for a refund. Newegg claimed he damaged the socket and refused the refund. They wouldn't even send the board back, not until they found out who he actually was and then they gave him a refund and returned the board.

Newegg actually sent the board back to Gigabyte for RMA themselves SIX MONTHS before they sold it to Steve, and they refused to pay the $100 it would have cost to fix it, and apparently just put it back on the shelf as an open box item. For gravy, this can all be proved because the idiots at Newegg left the Gigabyte RMA sticker on the board, and Steve called Gigabyte to confirm all the facts.

I've heard of Newegg doing this before. I don't like buying from them, but occasionally have to when I can't find it anywhere else. Recently I bought the case for my new workstation from them because Amazon didn't have it. I've also ordered spares of my favorite (and discontinued) Logitech G400 mouse from one of their Chinese resellers who still carries that mouse new in the box. I certainly would never order an open box from them, or anyone really.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: Newegg tries to 'open box' scam Gamer's Nexus

Post by psypher »

Shit, I won't even buy from them if they are the only ones with an item in stock, I'll wait. I haven't bought from them in years.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've avoided NE for quite some time. I think it would have to be a situation where absolutely nobody else had something I needed and I couldn't wait for the other vendor to restock it.

They used to be great years ago and I think the added competition has driven them to this state where they've changed their business model in order to stay alive while sacrificing everything that made them pretty good back in the day.
------------------------------------------

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

i remember when newegg had retail outlets back years ago. we have over the years bought from newegg and never need to do a return , its been mostly small ticket item like a mouse on special . never anything that cost a lot.
there like to me shopping at lowe'.s we look there when Home Depot out of stock or never carried a item we needed.
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

I stopped buying from them really when they merged with some Chinese company. Never were the same since. Slow shipping and service slumped. I wouldn't buy an open box anything. I don't trust the retailer to properly check returns but that was some ridiculous scam garbage. One of us might get arrested for trying to pull that.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've been following this as well. This concretes my position to avoid buying from Newegg. I remember when they were really good. I had a MB go bad 11 months after I purchased it. They honored their 1 year exchange and credited my account.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Steve got to do a sit down interview with execs from the company. To give Newegg some credit, they realize they have a PR issue, and they fucked up big time. We still don't really know if it was policy that put a bad mobo on the shelf for sale, or just a bad employee or manager. To be honest, in big companies, sometimes the peeps at the top have no idea what's going on at the ground level.

At least they are promising a new easy return policy for all open box sales. We'll see how that works out.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "